Image 'ghosting' after failed 60hz mod

Having used two PAL machines, one 50hz and one soldered to 60hz, for a few months I figured it would be easier just to mod one with a 50/60hz switch.

So I desoldered the link I made between the JP1 solder points, but while doing that the soldered accidentally 'crawled' over to JP2. I removed that too and installed two wires & a switch. When I booted up the Saturn, I noticed that it irregularly switched between 50hz and 60hz, and moreover, sometimes the image would get 'shadows'. So I unsoldered the whole bunch again and the system ran in 50hz. But the shadowing remains! What could be causing this? Could the resistor on JP2 be damaged by the heat?

btw, my Saturn is a model 1 with a VA0 mobo.

There's definitely some iron between JP1&2 if it keeps switching between 50/60Hz. Check between JP1&2 and remove iron. If that's not the problem, then it's either the 2 JP1&2 wires or the switch.

Don't quite understand what you meant by shadows, a picture of this help.

I managed to solder 2 wires on JP1&2 and connect/disconnect to change between 50/60Hz for optimized/non-optimized PAL games and works fine on my machine.

Well, I've fiddled a bit more and now the 'shadowing' has decreased a bit... here's what I mean by it: the flying polygons on the startup logo are displayed fine, but to the right of them there is a semi-transparent copy of them... like the screen is displayed twice, but the 2nd frame is shifted somewhat to the right if you catch my drift.

Back