Interesting news for you Ngage fans

it's tapwave I believe, though they're going for a different market with the zodiac, it's supposed to be like a pda that can play some games and stuff too. It runs palm OS so it cna run all the programs for that, so atleast it'll have plenty of games, and a decent controller too I hear. Then after that there's sony lol.

yea, thats true. I heard that in their first 2 weeks, they only sold 1000 units in north america, but theyre gonna keep selling games 4 it, since its only a cellphone, and a small investment on nokia's side, but it will be sure to lose 3rd party support soon. hopefully, sega will be off his damn ass boat 2 hell :devil

Let's hope Sega saw this comming too and didn't put billions of dollars into market research for developing NGage games. ;)

This is why they should have thrown in some proprietary hardware... something different. A proprietary graphics chip would have helped for instance, even if it was based off the simple stuff that ATI currently puts out. I personally am looking forward to seeing what the PVR MBX chips can do.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit+Nov 11, 2003 @ 01:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scared0o0Rabbit @ Nov 11, 2003 @ 01:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>it's tapwave I believe, though they're going for a different market with the zodiac, it's supposed to be like a pda that can play some games and stuff too.[/b]

The zodiac is out, but I read that you can only get it at the official website. And with such little fanfare of its release i doubt it'll get to much of a userbase. But it will most likely do better than Ngage, thankfully.

Sony is the major contender to wait for in this department.

<!--QuoteBegin-ratfish
@Nov 11, 2003 @ 04:31 AM

Let's hope Sega saw this comming too and didn't put billions of dollars into market research for developing NGage games. ;)[/quote]

Seeing as their contributions were all ports I think they are safe there... though I doubt they made much money at all on the sale(s) of their games.

---Ammut

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Nov 12, 2003 @ 07:14 AM

This is why they should have thrown in some proprietary hardware... something different.

From Nokia's FAQ:
The Nokia N-Gage game deck has other features that are not provided on Series 60 phones; currently, this information is confidential, but shared with authorized Nokia N-Gage mobile game deck developers.

What these features actually are is another question.

I read thru some dev manuals (I believe you can download em), they dont state much about the thing's inner workings but they do mention the possible use of a DSP by the games... maybe it is used for 3D calculations or Bluetooth communication? Anyhow, I guess it wont be the same as the one used in other phones.

The other S60 phones probably use a similar or even the same DSP as the N-Gage (the "dual-core" bit just means it's integrated into the CPU), but one of the extras may of course be a special API for it.

Ok this thing needs to drop of the face of the earth now so it will get discounted and I can add it to my collection for a few bucks. But I need to find a SIM card somewhere cause otherwise you can't even play the friggin games on it.

Back