Keep the box or throw it away?

Just wondering what everyone does with their game and/or dvd boxes when they buy a new game. Do you keep it, for whatever reason, or do you throw it away? One of my friends throws all of her dvd and game boxes in the garbage the day they are bought, and they are put in cd sleeves or folders. If that wasn't bad enough, she also throws the games and movies away when she's "done" with them.

I, however, keep all of the boxes and manuals in my collection, and I never throw a game away, even if it's sewer shark :/

Depends on the box. Like those oldschool oversized PC game boxes, trashcan. Anything else I keep. So until there's a poll option for "I only throw away huge oversized boxes that I don't have room for", I must refrain from casting my ballot.

Yeah, those can get quite large. What surprises me the most out of those big boxes is that usually, you got either a tiny manual or none at all, and just a cd or floppy disk in a sleeve. They had room in some of them for a 300 page strategy guide lol..

Even those, I keep though. The game discs are kept in cd sleeves until I'm done with them for a long time, and then I pack them back into their boxes, along with 40-50 games at a time, and then put them in a big storage box, label and tape em up, and put the box in storage.

I keep the majority. I have tossed some of by "over sized pc game" boxes though. Any collectors edition ones I keep though. The last part is the sadest however. She throws away games and movies when she is done? That is so wasteful.

I could never understand why people threw Genesis cases away--it's a crime.

That said, I've saved just about every box ever. I even have all my old, oversized PC boxes (for hardware and software). I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it all when I move out. I think my compromise is to discard the cardboard stuff and only keep the paper sleeves since they can collapse. For the software, at least.

I also keep spare computers/parts around. I have no idea what the heck I'm going to do with all of those. It'd be a damn shame to get rid of them, but I don't need them for anything.

I know what you mean. I only recently strted tossing by big pc game boxes. Though I never kept PC hardware boxes. I sometimes question storing all the PC parts I have. I've got maybe 3-4 nic's, sound cards, and video cards. Many are ISA. Why I save those, I don't know.

Yes, she usually just throws them away. She has said her conservative values kick in and she doesn't recycle or donate anything she has to second hand stores like the goodwill or salvation army, always buys new, never buys second hand.

I have tried to talk to her about donating the items to places that do good for others, when she gets bored, because a lot of kids (And some adults) either just don't have the money for new games and such, or they are tight on money.

I've gotten quite a few games from both the salvation army and the goodwill. So, .............

Originally posted by schi0249@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 12:53 PM

I keep the majority. I have tossed some of by "over sized pc game" boxes though. Any collectors edition ones I keep though. The last part is the sadest however. She throws away games and movies when she is done? That is so wasteful.

[post=122653]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by schi0249+Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 04:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(schi0249 @ Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 04:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know what you mean. I only recently strted tossing by big pc game boxes. Though I never kept PC hardware boxes. I sometimes question storing all the PC parts I have. I've got maybe 3-4 nic's, sound cards, and video cards. Many are ISA. Why I save those, I don't know.

[post=122677]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

I have entire PCs. Four of them as a matter of fact. The first two I owned and moved on from, and two others I inherited. The oldest being a 386SX Tandy. I'm not even sure how fast it is or any of that. I keep telling myself I'll use them to play my old DOS/Win3.1x games on, but I don't think I ever will. And, as a matter of fact, I've downloaded a number of Abandonware titles from The Underdogs and such, and I have yet to get any of them to actually run on any of the systems I have. So much for making it easier :/

<!--QuoteBegin-Malakai
@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 06:21 PM

Yes, she usually just throws them away. She has said her conservative values kick in and she doesn't recycle or donate anything she has to second hand stores like the goodwill or salvation army, always buys new, never buys second hand.

I have tried to talk to her about donating the items to places that do good for others, when she gets bored, because a lot of kids (And some adults) either just don't have the money for new games and such, or they are tight on money.

I've gotten quite a few games from both the salvation army and the goodwill. So, .............

[post=122685]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Since when is it conservative to be wasteful? At any rate, why don't you just take them from her? Keep 'em, sell 'em, donate 'em. Might as well. At least save the DVD cases. I liked when AOL started mailing me them once a week--quite useful. Then they switched to those stupid tins. And now, oddly enough, I haven't gotten any AOL CDs in months. I don't know what that means, but it's actually kind of scary now that I think about it. It's just not natural.

i don't throw them away, but my parents did when i moved out. I came back to get some of my stuff like my mega cd 2 box, saturn box, voodoo 3 box (they were very cool), official saturn ram cart box plus a shitload of other and found out that they had chucked em. it wasn't entirley their fault though, some were destroyed during a flood.

To answer the second question, about why don't I just take the games from her. Well, I actually try to. She knows it, and the games magically just disappear some of the times, other times, she throws them away before telling me, because she knows that I would want them. Occasionally, she actually does give a game or two to me.

1st question: From what i've gathered, her thoughts on this are basically that if she buys a game, plays it until she's bored with it, she can throw it away without it being a waste of money. It's like "The game paid for itself in entertainment value. The actual physical media has no value. So, I will throw it away now." So, to her, she's not wasting money and, therefore, she's not being wasteful. I've discussed this with her many times before.

To me, I see the first time I play a game as its highest entertainment value, if we can give a money value on entertainment, but I also see replay value, hobby/collector's value, resell value in the picture somewhere along the lines.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 06:13 PM

Since when is it conservative to be wasteful? At any rate, why don't you just take them from her? Keep 'em, sell 'em, donate 'em. Might as well. At least save the DVD cases. I liked when AOL started mailing me them once a week--quite useful. Then they switched to those stupid tins. And now, oddly enough, I haven't gotten any AOL CDs in months. I don't know what that means, but it's actually kind of scary now that I think about it. It's just not natural.

[post=122690]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by Malakai@Thu, 2004-11-04 @ 12:47 AM

To answer the second question, about why don't I just take the games from her. Well, I actually try to. She knows it, and the games magically just disappear some of the times, other times, she throws them away before telling me, because she knows that I would want them. Occasionally, she actually does give a game or two to me.

Huh. Not to get too personal, but that's not very friendly. Sounds like she's throwing them out just to spite you. I mean, why wouldn't she give them to you? It's just as easy as throwing them out.

1st question: From what i've gathered, her thoughts on this are basically that if she buys a game, plays it until she's bored with it, she can throw it away without it being a waste of money. It's like "The game paid for itself in entertainment value. The actual physical media has no value. So, I will throw it away now." So, to her, she's not wasting money and, therefore, she's not being wasteful. I've discussed this with her many times before.

Interesting theory. And I can actually understand it, to some degree. But you know, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at as you've already had these discussions. Mostly this bugs me as a gamer and small time collector. I hate to see something I value be wasted. But, it's not my stuff, is it? :D

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Thu, 2004-11-04 @ 09:08 AM

But, it's not my stuff, is it? :D

[post=122771]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah. It's my stuff --> *raids Malakai's friends' trash for "treasure" ;)

Well, that could very possibly be correct. She's been wanting to date me for about 5 or 6 years, but she was spoiled as a kid, and is still spoiled as a 32 year old now by her parents. Between that and refusing to clean or do the dishes, she's not my type. So, she probably holds that against me partially.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Thu, 2004-11-04 @ 09:08 AM

Huh. Not to get too personal, but that's not very friendly. Sounds like she's throwing them out just to spite you. I mean, why wouldn't she give them to you? It's just as easy as throwing them out.

[post=122771]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I found out about two weeks ago, she had thrown away an atari 2600 (working) with about 50 games, and it kinda well... let's just say I wasn't happy about it lol... I asked her why she did it, and she said because she already had an emulator and all the roms on her pc...

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Thu, 2004-11-04 @ 11:40 AM

Yeah. It's my stuff --> *raids Malakai's friends' trash for "treasure" ;)

[post=122783]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by Malakai@Thu, 2004-11-04 @ 01:20 PM

Yeah, I found out about two weeks ago, she had thrown away an atari 2600 (working) with about 50 games, and it kinda well... let's just say I wasn't happy about it lol... I asked her why she did it, and she said because she already had an emulator and all the roms on her pc...

[post=122789]Quoted post[/post]​

:eek:mg:

Dc and beyond I keep everything intact.

3do boxes were like pc games boxes in most cases toss em

early psx , satrun and sega cd cases were two big.

Plastic cases like genesis neogeo and genesis I kept.

I would keep inserts

Back