killed VIctor Saturn (JAPANESE) trying to mod it

hello guys

Today i was Ready to try modding my Victor Japanese saturn which is 64 pin.

I soldered the 5 v wire without a problem

then i Tryed to solder the other wires to the left side (8 pin) like in the faq

& i think i missed the drop... (because i had to put the wire longer so the wires was bigger)

& now i boot up my saturn & pops in the CD menu

but i get distortionned sounds (unknown sounds)

& a kind of Buzzing thing....

I guess i killed it?

the cd doesn't spin anymore

I tryed to boot a CD-r burned with nero (USA GAME)

doesn't spin........

is there anything to do at this point?

(try to un-solder it?....)

also i forgot (where i enter the chip theres a capacitor (blue metal power thing it's round)

THat seems to stop right on the end edge of the chip.... is that what maybe causing it???....

First thing I would check is the ribbon cable(s). Check if you bent any pins. Unplug everything and put it back in.

The ribbon cable was already (bent in the middle it was that way when i got it)

& played number 1

I don't think i bent the pin.....

I think that my solder went on 2 pin instead of 1 .. those pins are so tiny it was like imposible...

i removed the chip it doesn't seem that i damaged or burned the board or anything.......

but I still get the same Glitch pop click sound when i boot

the system

there is no more Victor saturn boot sounds

it does a psssHHhhhHHHHHHH sound.....

& the Cd Doesn't spin anymore....(i played today just before trying to mod it) it was working 100%

I really dunno what to do..........

Originally posted by hayabusa_fmw@Sat, 2006-01-07 @ 11:00 PM

i removed the chip it doesn't seem that i damaged or burned the board or anything.......

but I still get the same Glitch pop click sound when i boot

the system

there is no more Victor saturn boot sounds

it does a psssHHhhhHHHHHHH sound.....

& the Cd Doesn't spin anymore....(i played today just before trying to mod it) it was working 100%

I really dunno what to do..........

[post=143309]Quoted post[/post]​

I would look carefully over the PCB in the area you soldered for a drop of solder that may have fallen onto the board and is causing a short circuit. You may also want to use some compressed air to clean the board in case (assuming you used stranded wire) a strand broke loose and is shorting something.

If you see a small solder drop, sometimes you can use the tip of an x-acto knife to loosen it, then pick it up with some sticky tape or something. I wouldn't blow on the board since you don't want it getting stuck between the pins of a nearby chip.

It sounds like there may be a short on the audio section of the Saturn PCB, so I'd look there.

yeah i better buy some cheap american system 2 saturn & just dump the pieces inside my VIctor saturn body i guess....

USA saturn needs only to connect the chip + solder the 5v wires i heard...

That is true, US and Euro Saturns if you find the 32pin version only need the 5v soldered into place.

The wierd noises you heard with the chip in are normal with 64pin Saturns in my experience. Iv never got a 64pin Saturn to work though so its possible we did the same thing wrong. It seems if the chip is not going to work in the 64pin Saturn you will always get some wierd distorted sound no matter what you try to do.

As for it still making the sound after you removed the chip I never had that happen. Any 64 pin system I tried to mod worked fine after I took the chip out. Could be something making contact someplace it shouldnt be like said in previous posts.

Back