Match of the Millennium!

Hey all,

http://gens.consolemul.com/cgi-bin/ikonboa...ct=ST&f=1&t=167

Is the post I made, basically looking to see how interested the community still is in GENS and Sega emu, source, posting to other systems and how much people would like a new design of the site and a domain. So if your able to do something small to help out via paypal. Read the post, make a vote on the domain, then let me know at mysticales@darkmystics.com

Nothing major really. Just stef and I would love to see how much of the community is still active, interested before we make any overhaul of the current system or add new content or more up to date info on a global sega emu stage. Thanks. =)

(Also side note, never did leave SX hehe.. just lurking ^_^)

Yea, don't donate to tsunami relief efforts or any worthwhile causes, give a website that doesn't update anymore some bling.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Wed, 2005-01-26 @ 04:00 PM

Yea, don't donate to tsunami relief efforts or any worthwhile causes, give a website that doesn't update anymore some bling.

[post=128438]Quoted post[/post]​

Dont you even start Skank.. If you dont have anything good or supportive to say, please keep your posts to yourself.

As for updates, thats what we are trying to figure out now. If there is a community to update for or not really. If there is, then yes, changes will be made. Besides.. some people may like to support their favorite gens emu. =)

Also Hi Rolf. =D I know its been awhile. Normally I lurk around but some people kinda made me not want to be around here... but dont matter, I am here now. =p

Which memo to me.. must go check PSO stuff floating here.. love that game lol.

I'm just pointing out there are much more worthy things to give money to, rather than greedy 'fan' based communites that rarely get updates.

Hey, can I beg for money too?

Someone give me money so I can build a frontend for my website, www.arrowsmash.com

Thanks!

Ya, I fail to see how it needs money. If you liek it and wanna give it some, cool. The only person I'd ever give money to is stef himself.

Hosting a site, or having one hosted, shouldn't cost much at all, if you look around. I don't remember which host I was using, but it was like $10 a year, 100MB web space, pretty much unlimited bandwidth. The domain was only like $10 a year back then as well. So, $20 (more or less) and ya have a domain and a good host for a year.

If you're wanting to get money, I'd suggest just turning GENs into shareware, or making an "ultra" or "pro" version, with more features, etc.

I would pay for an emu if it was something I thought was worth it (magic engine, for example), but GENs is already free, and it pretty much does everything I'd want it to do. So, I honestly wouldn't pay anything for it.

Besides, where does Kega Fusion fit into all of this? I thought that was the current incarnation of Gens...

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Thu, 2005-01-27 @ 01:06 AM

Ya, I fail to see how it needs money. If you liek it and wanna give it some, cool. The only person I'd ever give money to is stef himself.

[post=128452]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah mysticales is the official webmistress for all emus sega . :wub:

How many sights are you currently hosting designing and doing admin work for ?

Anyways I guess my point is that shes all over the place and does more work in the scene than everyone on this board put together. If she says shes going to do somthing a project ect she does. I'd def. trust her with a $3 contribution or whatever you felt like giving.

Originally posted by Curtis@Wed, 2005-01-26 @ 09:49 PM

Besides, where does Kega Fusion fit into all of this? I thought that was the current incarnation of Gens...

[post=128465]Quoted post[/post]​

Kega is written by Steve Snake, Gens is written by Stef.

Mysticales just is an elaborate forum moderator.

I honestly don't see a point in donating money to a website like that. Serious web designers cost hundreds of dollars, and there is no need for such an elaborate site for a free emulator.

And yea, if you want money, make Gens shareware.

Dont you even start Skank..

Although I'd like to believe that I'd have been more diplomatic, Skank hasn't really said anything that I'm not thinking. Basically:

1) The only expense you mention that can really be gauged by potential donors (getting a domain) is one that could easily be paid by a single donor, which would probably be more effectively arranged in private.

2) The reason you gave for wanting a domain (independence from consolemul.com's domain/DNS) could realistically be served by one of the several long-running and 100% free redirector services. Sure, they could go under / have technical problems too, but so could your registrar.

3) You talk about overhauling the site but give no solid idea of what could actually be done. I doubt many people will be eager to donate to a project with no well-defined goal.

4) I'm not surprised that you kept a low profile around here. I bet you'd get an interesting reaction over at VGR...

Originally posted by Curtis@Wed, 2005-01-26 @ 09:49 PM

[post=128465]Quoted post[/post]​

If anything, Kega is a successor to (but not a version of) KGen. The Genesis emu authors are pretty cool about sharing their discoveries, though, so they tend to keep each other pretty able to keep up with the state of the art.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Thu, 2005-01-27 @ 07:36 PM

If anything, Kega is a successor to (but not a version of) KGen. The Genesis emu authors are pretty cool about sharing their discoveries, though, so they tend to keep each other pretty able to keep up with the state of the art.

[post=128475]Quoted post[/post]​

Ah right. Still, it's a good example of why Gens would not work as shareware. It'd have to have frequent updates and/or a release schedule and be very competitive with the other free emus to keep people interested.

Re donations:

Give if you want - that is, after all the point of a donation - but I can't see bandwidth/hosting costs being too significant to foot. You've got crazy cheap hosting options in the US.

The only reason this site is so expensive is because of the extreme gigage of mp3/movie content, and all the "extras" such as webmail and the arcade, and the shell access for Ice. Why not make Gens an open source project and have it hosted on sourceforge?

I don't know, but charging for an emulator seems kind of illegal in my eyes. Seeing how emulators are debateably illegal on there own. The programmer then openly charging money is kinda like making profit on someones elses intellectual property.

Donations is a better route. You aren't charging for the emulator, but instead asking for donations to fund the time put into the programming the emulator. Its like with prostitution, its not prostitution if you have sex and then receive a gift afterwards; may the gift be money, its still a gift. (for those who didn't know this, its true, you are allowed to give gifts as long as its not for the service itself. Kinda loop holey aint it. ::cough:: no ive never pulled this myself, I wouldn't pay for sex. I don't have to. :D )

Ah right. Still, it's a good example of why Gens would not work as shareware. It'd have to have frequent updates and/or a release schedule and be very competitive with the other free emus to keep people interested.

I don't think anything's really stopping the idea of developing a "Gens Premium" with the same emulation engine but some crackrock features like Genesis Project integration, video recording, or what-have-you. Some people would undoubtedly warez it, but the point could just as well be to give donors something for their trouble rather than to release and market a "product" (cf. some website "subscriptions" that just turn off ads and/or give subscribers first dibs on new items rather than making any different content available).

Donations is a better route. You aren't charging for the emulator, but instead asking for donations to fund the time put into the programming the emulator.

The problem with donations is that they're optional. If an emu author really wants to get paid something like the Street Performer Protocol should be better in principle, but I haven't seen any type of escrow service that could really be used to pull it off, and it's too late for that to work with Gens.

I wouldn't pay for sex. I don't have to.

Paying with your sanity is still paying. <_<

Originally posted by Xavier@Wed, 2005-01-26 @ 10:23 PM

Yeah mysticales is the official webmistress for all emus sega . :wub:

How many sights are you currently hosting designing and doing admin work for ?

Anyways I guess my point is that shes all over the place and does more work in the scene than everyone on this board put together. If she says shes going to do somthing a project ect she does. I'd def. trust her with a $3 contribution or whatever you felt like giving.

[post=128466]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok well 1st off, you are correct, I am a official spokes woman for those EMUs.

Back in the day, I helped organize webpage work for the 3 main emus. As well as on SX. Forums I ALWAYS was part of. But that was when all is active, ever since sega cd emu was finished, I kinda stopped. But recently I have come back to see more what CAN be done.

So atm, I am learning the new eidolons-inn web admin stuff for editing the page, and GENS I am looking to see what we DO need to do.

Now EVERYONE is correct, Domains and hosting is NOT expensive. 9$ a year for a domain. Meaning if only a couple ppl did 3$ donate or something, then wham, all set. Nothing major. This money is not for me, its not even for a "greedy fan site" This is for the OFFICIAL Gens site..

Stef and I also talked.. that those who do plan to contribute anything.. will be part of the new GENS that soon will have a new BETA out.. So yes.. wasnt gonna say much about that yet.. but yea, thats what its looking at.

The reason we look for this is to see if there is still community support out there and worth investing in. If not.. then why work on anything if no one cares? Makes sense? I mean all major sites or emus have a pay pal button on them... donating always gave you access to something. So no.. this money is to Stef for domain and for years to come..

As for Kega, Steve works on that mostly, and Xega was Gerrie. But since its all on Eidolons inn. Soon might make some site fixes or feature addons.

Also some are correct, I DO check emails and respond to all those asking tech support.. normally its all based on network play now tho.

As for all you new people.. Skank and I have a history.. hes always hated me, and he was one of the main reasons I left SX cause of many flames he started as is starting again.... which memo to all.. I really dont want any flames in this post.. Not my fault that he left SX, then got kicked from that fan site he was working on too. Just dont see why some people need to bash another.. sad in a sense.. but I doubt that will ever stop..

But anyways.. if you DO want to learn more.. you can email me or so or PM and you can learn yourself. Only posting in the best interests of GENS and any sega cd emu out there trying to expand and the new open source stuff.. Most of you dont know whats being planned. So you never know what is going on behind the scenes. ;) Only Steve seems to talk more about what he does ;)

And skank.. do me one big favor please.. dont start.. asked you that 3rd post, drop it please and drop the flames from past too.. All you do with each post you did is attack and not even try to see whats up. This is all official work for the emu and well.. if you call a official site a "fan site" then man.. really dont know whats up.. anyways..

So there you got your community support: everyone is talking off topic.

Originally posted by Mysticales@Thu, 2005-01-27 @ 08:14 PM

The reason we look for this is to see if there is still community support out there and worth investing in. If not.. then why work on anything if no one cares? Makes sense? I mean all major sites or emus have a pay pal button on them... donating always gave you access to something. So no.. this money is to Stef for domain and for years to come..

[post=128502]Quoted post[/post]​

I think the question "why all this" comes to every homebrew devver from time to time.

Don't even think about doing something just for the community.

Donations: really impressive what gifts some projects recieved over the years:: consoles, games, some money.

But you can be sure that this happens only to 1 of 2000 projects...

BTW: Gens is excellent, definitely worth to donate!

Back