Media or Game Rooms

I started on my media/game room many months ago, but it was just much more complex than I anticipated. I cleaned out an old bedroom, and my first mistake was thinking that there would be enough room to store all of my games, movies, and books. If I stored all of my media in boxes, just stacked on top of each other, they would probably fit, but I wanted to display my prized collection.

Til this day, it isn't even nearly finished. I've got a whole shelving unit full of DOS games, a rack filled with dvds , vcds, gamecube, and ps2 games, another shelf filled with SOME of my books and records, another shelf filled with MORE records, MORE books, SOME VHS tapes, and my laser disc collection, 1 dresser drawer full of MOST of my sega cds, another one full of about half of my sega genesis carts and mega cds, another one with my master system and famicom games, a CD rack with about 200 music cds, etc. There are also a few US and Japanese saturn, dreamcast, duo/pc engine, and ps1 games in the mix somewhere.

The problem is... I still have probably 150 or more books, appx 300 NES games, appx 300 atari 2600 games, appx 50 atari 5200 games & accessories, 70 or so SNES/Super Famicom games, 30+ 3DO games, Betamax tapes, 150+ more vhs tapes, and a crapload of misc games, systems, and accessories, etc, that I just don't have space for.

I still probably have room for 1 or 2 mini shelves, and maybe a little wall space, for another wall-mount rack, and possibly use something in the middle of the room for shelving.. Any one else have this problem? What have you done about it? Share info or pics of your game room!

While part of my problem is that I have put this project kinda on the back burner for awhile, I never would have thought that it would have taken this long to complete, and it still isn't complete. My newest project is putting together a good 10' c/ku band satellite dish up, which I'm doing slowly but surely, but I think my next video game project will be to get boxed video game systems of the ones I don't have boxed so far (snes, n64, nes, 3do, sega genesis)

I use my living room as my media room as I live alone.

It took me awhile to acquire all the stuff required, but I have finished. Although my problems with space are not like yours because my collection has began to shrink over time.

Anyways... I have all my consoles hooked up through Svid, unless Svid isn't supported (like the NES).

I have a computer with capture card hooked up through DVI

Cable TV hooked to that computer. And just standard stereo speakers.

NewTVcomp.jpg

I do want to get a wireless keyboard and mouse... also I want to get a remote control for my computer.

Heh... For me, its more of a media library taking up the whole basement. Right now, most of my movies are on those plastic 5-shelf racks you get for $25 at Wal-Mart, set up so that I can use both sides. Five sets so far, and I've also got an old baby changing stand (three shelves) covered both sides and a tall dresser with all drawers full. Games, for now, are covering the pool table. Everything CD- or DVD-based that doesn't have an original case (whether the game is an original I purchased without a case or a "backup") is on spindles in my bedroom or in the computer room. I'm working on making DVD case sized covers for all of them. (We're talking about 600 to 700 discs, I went a little crazy after modding my PSX.) I have a 12-foot long buffet table I'm gonna set up downstairs to keep expanding the game collection until everything has a case. I'm also hoping to make cases for all my Genesis, SNES, N64, GB(A), Game.Com, GameGear, Atari 2600, and Atari 5400 games, IF I can figure out how to get cases for them. (Game.Com games fit in the memory card slot of a PS2 case, so I'm probably gonna use that for those... GB and GBA games don't fit there, so I'm thinking cut out the disc tabs and come up with some sort of foam thing to hold the cartridges in place. The rest, when I worked for NexPak I made rental cases for cartridge systems, but I haven't found anywhere to buy them from yet.) And my music CD's are on bookshelves in my bedroom. Eventualy, when I finaly get my own place (I'm thinking trailer home, NOT an apartment), I'm gonna turn the extra (larger) bedroom into a library with ALL the games in it.

Now as for the actual systems, they're all hooked up in my bedroom. I've got a nice entertainment center in there, and I built some extra shelves to fit in the extra space in the TV area. (27 inch TV, but the center is built big enough for a 32 inch.) Those extra shelves house my NES, SNES, and Dreamcast. Xbox is in the stereo rack. GameCube and PSX are on the shelf above the TV, along with the center channel speaker, VCR, DVD player, and cable box. 3DO, Saturn, Genesis/SCD, MasterSystem, and N64 all sit on top of the center. And both Ataris are in the cabinet at the bottom of the center. All controllers and whatnot are in a big Rubbermaid container between my bed and the bookshelves. Above the entertainment center there's a shelf built into the wall (there used to be 3, but the bottom one had to go to fit the center there and the top had to go for...) with my big Kenwood speakers on it. It isn't the best place for them, sound- or safety-wise, but they're too big to fit on the floor. (This is a 9X12 room, and the entertainment center is on the same 9 ft. wall as the door.)

Back