Mega Drive I vs. Mega Drive II

Alexvrb

There are differences, but essentially yes. As I recall there were actually multiple revisions of the sound chip, some being better at certain things. I personally own a Genesis II, and it fits better with my SCD II, but it doesnt really matter to me.

emazur

No, Genesis II had shit for sound quality (even with stereo a/v cable). Especially the bass sounds distorted (try playing Sreets of Rage). I asked Steve Snake once about it and he said it's cuz it has a much weaker power supply than Genesis I.

And personally, I think the design of I is much better than II, which is nothing more than a black square (and it lacks the headphone jack).

Alexvrb

*Puts in streets of rage* I have no such issue with either SOR 1 or 2. I don't have 3 in my hands so i can't test that.

Perhaps someone who knows what they're talking about can shed some light on this? No offense, but I can't accept "shit for sound quality" without an expert around - seeing as how I've played both and the sound output of my genesis II seems fine. But then again, there were multiple sound chip revisions even for Genesis II, I think.

Shakey Jake33

The MegaDrive 2 always looked slightly less 'clean' for image quality than the original... not significantly... but I saw more little bugs and glitches...

Personally I prefer the MD1. It looks cooler, it's got a headphones port, and link it up with the MCD1 and you got the best looking system out there!

Jeffrey

I can't remember. Does the back of the genesis model 1 have a simple RF out (like a composite out)? Same as the atari VCS RF out?

I have the mega drive model 1 which does not, and I only have model 2 versions of the genesis.

suppafly2k

I like model 1 better. That is because it is compatible with 100% of games (unlike later models). And because of the headphone jack.!!!

racketboy

Originally posted by suppafly2k@Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:34 PM

I like model 1 better. That is because it is compatible with 100% of games (unlike later models).
like which ones

I wasn't aware of this?

Acidics

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 11, 2003 @ 05:07 AM

The MegaDrive 2 always looked slightly less 'clean' for image quality than the original... not significantly... but I saw more little bugs and glitches...

Personally I prefer the MD1. It looks cooler, it's got a headphones port, and link it up with the MCD1 and you got the best looking system out there!
/me agrees.

Nothing can beat that MD1.

Edge-`

I don't know... nothing looked smoother than a complete Genesis 2, with the Sega CD 2, and the 32X attached, sleek, smooth, just awesome looking. Personally I see no difference in Quality for the US genny's.

I know those model 1's were a hell of a lot more durable than the m2's. I have an origional m1 and it runs GREAT and I know ppl who have went through 2-3 m2's. My m1 has been dropped a good 4-5 times on cement (used to be in our basement) and its about a 3 1/2 foot drop.....still runs great except for that damn ac adaptor....

Shakey Jake33

Originally posted by Edge-`@Jun 12, 2003 @ 03:14 AM

I don't know... nothing looked smoother than a complete Genesis 2, with the Sega CD 2, and the 32X attached, sleek, smooth, just awesome looking. Personally I see no difference in Quality for the US genny's.
It was all too wide for me.... front-loading CD trays look more profesional IMO