Megadrive 21?

The other day, while surfing a hong kong game retailer's site I found two megadrive models that caught my eye. One of them was called "megadrive 21" and the other one "mega drive 3" and looked like cheap dreamcast controllers with several genesis games built into the controller itself. But what really surprised me is that on the box it said "Licensed by Sega" and it actually had a Sega logo! Does anyone know anything about these systems?? Are they really endorsed by Sega? Also, do these systems have a cart slot, or will they only play the builtin games?

If I find the link to the site I'll post it right away.

I've not heard of the Megadrive 21 (a typo, perhaps?), but the MD 3 is made by the Brazilian company, Tec Toy. By all accounts, Tec Toy is more-or-less Sega of Brazil and have official licences to make just about all the old (and new) Sega products.

here, I finally found the links to the pics:

segamd_md3_b.gif

segamd_md3_2.gif

Thanks for the TecToy link, Curtis. I already checked their website and the mega drive 3 they sell seems to be a completely different thing from the one above...

I wonder if these things are actually legit... and if they work with normal md/gen cartriges??

Of course these things are not legit. And just because they printed the sega logo on it doesn't make it any more official or legal than without it.

As a rule any of these controller looking systems with built in games are no legit.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them, but since one of the boxes is written in Japanese, I'd figure it's geared towards the Japanese market and as far as I know, Japan has a VERY strict policy on illegal stuff. Besides, not only does the box have a sega logo, it also says "Licensed by Sega" and the HK store that's selling it says it IS an official product (I know those guys are not to be trusted too much anyway).

Back