Mod for 21 Pin Cable 32 Pin Chip

is there a Mod Chip for a Sega Saturn which has a 21 Pin Cable and a 32 Pin Chip???

If not, is there a way to tell which Saturn has a 32 or 64 Pin Chip on the Board without opening it???

Cause if there is no way to mod a 21/32 Pin Saturn, I would consider buying a 21/64 Model.

It's really important, cause I had about 50 Sega Saturn games, but had to sell them on eBay, due to financial Problems and now I've only got the BackUps :((

I would like to play them very much, but I've already almost ruined 1 Saturn with Swapping.

(I've got 2 Saturns at my place, both are 21/32 PIN but one of them has that "Access" light, so it was easy to swap. But now it won't read any backups no more :( if I insert an original game it runs with no screw ups, but when I put in a backup, it won't even start to spin. I am not sure but it seems like the backup that I've backuped with the ISO/MP3 method don't start to spin at all, and those copied with BIN/CUE or CCD method do start but then get stuck after some time playing)

I'm not seeking for solution to this problem, but would be interested in an exact explanation of that crap :D

And of course an advise on my modding problem would be nice ^^

THX in adavnce (in case anybody gonna reply to this ;)

The only mod chips that seem to be available right now only work with the 21/32 saturn. Get one at jandaman.com and you should be good to go.

Edit: I'll add that I'm not 100% sure it will work on your model 1 that has a 21/32 in it, but if so that'd be pretty cool, cause you don't see model 1 21/32's all that often.

crap, I think I've got it all wrong...

the Sega Saturn (both) that I have go with that 64 PIN Chip...

I'm kinda confused about it right now, I'll have to look it up tomorrow loool

64 pin chips seem to be more problematic to mod. Sometimes you'll get a board that'll work fine in either a 32 or 64 pin Saturn, unfortunately most just don't work in them. I can't tell you why this might be the case. :(

so, I've made pictures of what my both Saturns look like inside:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/omonowez/Temp/My_Saturn_Model_1.JPG

http://mitglied.lycos.de/omonowez/Temp/My_Saturn_Model_2.JPG

actually I don't even see any Chip in the Model 1 hardware...where the hell is it? ^^

also the description to the Sega Saturn Mod Chip on Jandaman.com says:

*quote* Compatible with all 21 PIN Sega Saturn Consoles. *quote*

does this mean it'll also work with mine??? cause it says nothing about a 32/64 Pin Chip only the Cable.....

Didn't someone on these boards find a way to work around soldering on the 64 pin and solder the thing right to the modboard itself or something...?

It's really important, cause I had about 50 Sega Saturn games, but had to sell them on eBay, due to financial Problems and now I've only got the BackUps...

Well, saturn games are so cheap now, maybe when you become un-burdend you can pick them all up again.

they are cheap, no doubt about that, but try and get'em here in germany, you gonna run your ass off and don't get shit.

It was difficult enough to get them for full prices as the games came out, now guess how easy it's gonna be now....

so back to my questions ^^

as I wrote, in the description on the Jandaman.com page, it's said that the Mod Chips will work on any 21 PIN Cable Sega Saturn does this mean the number of pins on the chip doesn't matter????

and the second question would be where the f*** is the controller chip on the board of my Model 1 Sega Saturn.... plz look at the pictures above...

you can see the 64 PIN Chip on the Model 2 Board but I can't see any chip on the Model 1 Board no 32 or 64 Pin at all.....where could it be???

and if it is there could it be a 32 PIN chip???

Sorry if those questions were already answered in this thread, if so please point it out again, I somehow didn't get it :D

THX

possibly on the bottom of the cd board I guess, but I'm not real familiar with the model 1 saturn. As for your question about jandaman's modchips, they only work on the 32 pin saturn. All sites that sell the modboards say they support all 21 pin saturns, but thats not the case, only a few sites have had chips that support the 64 pin, and the only one I knew of is now out of business.

I think you'll find that if you count the number of 'pins' on the model 1's ribbon cable, you'll find that it's 20 pin anyway. Irregardless of the controller chip (which is underneath the board), the mod isn't going to easily work.

CRAP!

well thanks for the piece of advice anyway ;D

well I suppose I'm gonna get a 21/64 PIN Sega Saturn....although I have no idea how to do this, cause I can't tell if it's a 32 PIN or a 64 PIN chip inside, without opening it :(

well maybe I'll be able to get my hand layed on an already moded one ^^

THX @ll who helped me on this! :)

Back