Modchip doesn't work with M2 64pins

Hello,

I have a model 2 saturn with PAL SD motherboard and 64 pins drive chip.

I bought the racketboy's modchip :

http://www.racketboy.com/store/sega-saturn/sega-saturn-modchip.html

The modchip doesn't work. The burned CDs boot as Audio CDs.

I'm informed myself and several 64 pins model don't seem to work with this modchip...

I don't know if the problem is the signals frequency for the PAL chip on the modchip, or the digital data.

The pin n°8 of the 64pin chip provides 8,33Mhz but this is a triangular signal (which should be square) surely because the rise time is too slow for the chip...

The other frequency (which lead to pin 1 PAL chip on modchip) is 4,25Mhz. This signal is almost triangular.

The CMOS chips don't properly support triangular signals but I don't know if this is important in this case.

I tried a differentiator with op-amp but my op-amps aren't enough quick to provide a correct square signal.

--------------------

I've seen a modchip V2 working with all 64 pins model 2 saturns. But the circuit is quasi similar (except the 8,33Mhz frequency provided by a quartz and maybe the microcontroller code).

--------------------

When I boot a burned game with the modchip installed, the lens reads the zone of the game, and the lens moves to the edge of the CD (no problem for instance) but after the lens search during 1 minutes the code protection. After several tests, it give up and recognize as Audio CD.

When I boot a burned game without the modchip installed, the lense test one time to read the code protection and recognize immediately as Audio CD.

As if the modchip didn't succeed to send code protection data or data are wrong.

--------------------

I am not sure of what I should do and I would like advices.

Do you think the triangular signals for the 2 frequencies are a problem ?

Does the Saturn Modchip Board V2 really work with all 64 pins model 2 saturns ?

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/saturnchipguide_2.htm

If you have technical helps, thanks to learn me on the subject.

Rob Webb is from the UK and should be familiar with PAL Saturns. I would contact him and directly ask if your model Saturn is compatible. In the past, I have purchased various Saturn accessories from his store and found Rob to be honest and trust worthy.

Thanks BrokenLizard. :)

I tried to contact him but no response for instance (maybe because of vacation). Could you ask him the difference between the 2 modchips too please ?

The fact that the sled moves out to attempt to read the ring means that the MCU on your modchip isn't correctly intercepting the drive commands and invalidating the ring seek command. So, i'd initially look at the MCU part of the modchip being clocked incorrectly.

MrS

Back