Model 1 emulation

mal

Established Member
Originally posted by Mame WIP page

Olivier Galibert submitted a very preliminary Sega Model 1 driver that supports Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Star Wars Arcade and Wing War, though none of them are playable, none of them have sound emulation and they still have major graphics glitches.

Preliminary, unplayable, graphics glitches and no sound? Who cares? There are polygons showing up! :D

This is excellent news, because Model 1 hardware has been considered unemulatable by many in light of it's undocumented DSPs.

April 04 WIP

Attachments

• vr_5.png
    vr_5.png
    21 KB · Views: 97
  • vr_5.png
    vr_5.png
    21 KB · Views: 92
  • vr_5.png
    vr_5.png
    21 KB · Views: 97
The Raiden 2 update isn't really that cool.

Originally posted by Haze @ retrogames forums

> Are those also screenshots of decrypted graphics tiles in Raiden II?

there are 2 screenshots showing the partially decrypted sprites (unlike spi the bg tiles aren't encrypted on r2)

main problem with r2 now is the protection (and cpu banking), and considering it uses the same protection chip that has been holding up several non-encrypted 68k based seibu games for years i wouldn't be too optimistic.

link

Modeler has the same "support" for Model1 emulation and the version I got is from December 8, 2001 (Modeler 0.9.3a). As far as I know that was the last version of that emulator though. :blink:

But it's always nice with a project that isn't cancelled yet. Looking forward till the day when you can actually play those games. :)

I know you're being sarcastic, but the 32X version, although it's the best home version out there, pales in comparison to the arcade game.

I couldn't resist blurting that out, but yes I was sarcastic :D

Haven't played it, but how's the Saturn version?

Originally posted by Twillinx@Apr 6, 2004 @ 04:11 AM

Modeler has the same "support" for Model1 emulation and the version I got is from December 8, 2001 (Modeler 0.9.3a). As far as I know that was the last version of that emulator though. :blink:

But it's always nice with a project that isn't cancelled yet. Looking forward till the day when you can actually play those games. :)

Modeler is for all intents and purposes dead. This is in MAME. Modeler also never displayed any 3D graphics, only 2D.

racket - I really like the Saturn version of Virtua Racing, but I'm led to believe that it pales in comparison to the arcade version. I don't care, because I like that fact that you can start in carts and work your way up to F1 cars. :)

The Saturn version of VR is lousy. The 32X version and even the Genesis version are better. The main reason for this is that they completely screwed up the controls on the Saturn rev. Although as mal mentioned, there are more options than any other version. The framerate is also better (as you would expect).

Originally posted by it290@Apr 6, 2004 @ 01:11 AM

I know you're being sarcastic, but the 32X version, although it's the best home version out there, pales in comparison to the arcade game.

Haven't you guys tried teh Sega AGES version of VR for the PS2? I bet you'll like it, so far the best home version of VR I think... (at least one of the most true to the original in those 11 games)

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 6, 2004 @ 12:13 PM

don't have a PS2 and don't plan too -- my cousin does though

Once you find on in the bargain bin for $50, you'll pick one up ;)

Back