My Car Died :(

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Was driving back from Jim Thorpe this weekend and hit a patch of ice on a turn and the car slid off the road in the middle of nowhere.

Luckily it was only me in the car and I wasnt hurt too badly, thanks to the seatbelt. I was following a friend. The state trooper that we called in was awesome and helped me out. The officer told me that there was really nothing I could have done, just poor road conditions.

The corvette has mainly cosmetic damages and AAA wouldnt cover the tow but the insurance did. I find out tommorow if I should just take the money from the insurance company or if it's worth getting fixed. She has full coverage but she is soo old I hope something good comes of it.

Pray for me guys. I'm a nervous wreck. Any advice you could give me would be great.

wow in harrisburg it was nice this weekend. a month or something ago i went off of a on ramp from 81 to 83 nothing happend though

Wow, I'm always afraid that will happen to me with all the powerslides I do and what not. It's good that your ok, but there's nothing good about a severely damaged automobile. I hope everything works out for you.

your vette? that bites a hard one bro! If she has a lot of miles on the engine I wouldn't bother fixing it though. I'd just take the cash.

I hate it when you lose your fav car. I remember I got a Mercedes Benz when I was 17 for a really good price. It was used, but hardly had many miles... after 3 months of owning it I crashed it into a ford explorer. I had fallen asleep at the whell. (long story, but seriousily if you heard the details you would understand why I don't consider it my own fault.) I almost died that day (not just from the accident!) and then I felt even worst when I had to settle for an 86' chevy celebrity (or as the broken decals said on the back "rolet Celebri" sounds all foreign and stuff). Bleh. But now I'm in a Ford Focus... yey, itsa good car, I love it!

Glad to hear you are fine Ice. My single minor motoring accident (not more than a scratch on the car, really) left me feeling shaken for a couple of days, so I have an idea of what it feels like...and it sucks hard.

Wait to see what the insurance is worth before making a decision about what to do next. The aforementioned scratch to my own car was worth about $500AU (~$375USD) in paint - that's nearly half the worth of the car. I only had it fixed because I had to in order to get the insurace company to represent me.

D'oh. The only accident I was in was pathetic. We were driving my girlfriend's college roommate home at the end of the year (road trip!) and we took her mom's Acura. On the way back her and I were stopped at a light along side a small town type parking lot in front of a shop. I was the passenger and as we were sitting there I looked over and watched as this car start backing out of the space right at us. It was like slow motion. I didn't really say anything either because I was sure the driver would see us. Nope. She backed right into the front of the car and smashed out the plastic light shield on the front and left a small dent in the bumper. It was more funny than anything else.. well, until her mom found out.

Aside from that I've only had some close calls. Surprisingly these things seem to happen when I'm the passenger... hmm.

That's the Corvette with the baby vette engine isn't it? Hmm... I wouldn't fix it unless you are attached to it, or know someone who can do body work at a reasonable price. Still though, that sucks man. Iced up roads, especially black ice, can really screw you over. I've almost lost it in my tank a couple of times, but I'd just drop it into 1st and try to stay on the road.

Glad you're okay, but... What the HELL were you doing driving the 'vette in icy conditions when you own a large, heavy (and probably front wheel drive) Cadilac?

Front wheel drive wouldn't necessarily save him. Even AWD still uses conventional tires<->road technology, last I checked, and you can still lose it on ice. But at least the Caddy might have a better survival chance in a bad wreck. Did you know that a good percentage of modern FWD vehicles are actually essentially one wheel drive? It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 05:11 PM

Did you know that a good percentage of modern FWD vehicles are actually essentially one wheel drive? It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

[post=129327]Quoted post[/post]​

In both rear wheel drive and front wheel drive, the wheels can spin at different speeds. Anyway, often in rear wheel drive only one wheel is powered in normal driving.

Anyways, that's too bad ice, but at least now you can upgrade from the automatic (eww). :thumbs-up:

When one gets the opportunity of a lifetime one does not care if what is offered is auto or stick.

Originally posted by Supergrom+Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 08:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supergrom @ Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 08:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>it was an automatic? blech.

[post=129336]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-crystalmethod
@Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 09:39 PM

Who buys an automatic vette?

[post=129338]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

I don't get what's so great about manual transmission. It's just adds to the already tedious chore that driving is. I have to make up games to make driving even remotely enjoyable. One of my favorites is "See how long you can go 120 MPH". The best place I found to play is in the desert, like in Arizona & New Mexico where there aren't as many assholes going 90 to slow you down. It's also the only part of the country I've been to where people understand the concept of, move bitch, get out the way. Then there's the classic game "Halve your speed in 2 seconds because you have a crappy radar detector", and I also spice things up by powersliding into every turn. If you're ever driving and see someone that looks like Jean Reno possibly yelling the words fuck, twat, or cunt, driving like an idiot that's me. Say hello and watch out, because I'm long overdue for another accident.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 10:50 PM

I don't get what's so great about manual transmission. It's just adds to the already tedious chore that driving is. I have to make up games to make driving even remotely enjoyable. One of my favorites is "See how long you can go 120 MPH". The best place I found to play is in the desert, like in Arizona & New Mexico where there aren't as many assholes going 90 to slow you down. It's also the only part of the country I've been to where people understand the concept of, move bitch, get out the way. Then there's the classic game "Halve your speed in 2 seconds because you have a crappy radar detector", and I also spice things up by powersliding into every turn. If you're ever driving and see someone that looks like Jean Reno possibly yelling the words fuck, twat, or cunt, driving like an idiot that's me. Say hello and watch out, because I'm long overdue for another accident.

[post=129342]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :D :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Zero 9@Tue, 2005-02-08 @ 08:50 PM

In both rear wheel drive and front wheel drive, the wheels can spin at different speeds. Anyway, often in rear wheel drive only one wheel is powered in normal driving.

True, but only FWD vehicles suffer from torque-steer and are much more likely to have front/rear balance issues. Anyway, that wasn't what I was referring to. If you don't have Limited Slip of some variety, you will basically have all power diverted to the inner wheel during cornering. In an open differential, the outside wheel will just slip freely. It isn't as big an issue for RWD... the wheels might not spin at the same speed, but it's not as bad as an open FWD. Limited slip compensates by only allowing a certain percentage of difference before it forces power to the slipping wheel.

Back