my DC can't read Shenmue 1 disc 1 !!!!

okay. the game is bought used but it's in perfect condition and there are no visible scratches on the shiny side of disc 1. so far, the game has booted exactly TWICE since I got it.

by the sound it makes, the laser simply can't find the tracks to read (TOC ?).

any help ? the DC is made April 2000 and it's US Shenmue.

oh, one more thing. disc 2 and 3 boots fine as well as Shenmue Passport (although this one hangs when certain movies/promo videos are played.....)

it affects none of my other games (legit and backups).

could this be the first example of backups damaging your hardware ? arrrrggghh, why me !

boil the cd and it will work fine, i've experienced similar problems on other people's dc's with PSO, has nothing to do with piracy. just boil it, wipe it off, and play.

do you mean:

1) boil water in pot

2) drop the disc in boiling water ?

MasterAkumaMatata: which is the wrong side to put "in" ?

I've never done it before though, so I can't confirm if it really works or not. According to SkankinMonkey's suggestion, my guess would be to put it in boiling water with the laser read side facing the water (so as to clear away some layer of film on the read side?).

yea, you drop it in and when it starts to warp, turn the heat off and let it cool and return to its normal form, it gets all the crap that they put on it off

I prefer putting them into the microwave, shiny side up, for 3 - 5 seconds. Depends on the power of your microwave. Anywho, the heat from the microwave will totally destroy all the film on the cd's surface. This is better if you are hesitant about putting your cd's into boiling water ;)

I prefer putting them into the microwave, shiny side up, for 3 - 5 seconds. Depends on the power of your microwave. Anywho, the heat from the microwave will totally destroy all the film on the cd's surface. This is better if you are hesitant about putting your cd's into boiling water ;)
Oh, it will do that and more,
icon_lol.gif

Kinda reminds me of the time someone in alt.games.redalert2 said they tried to fix a scratch on their CD by putting it to a light bulb. *sigh...*

what is that broken pic of in your post Akuma?
It's an LOL emoticon from another message board. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't; it's weird. If only the Admins added more emoticons, that would be nice, so I wouldn't have to steal them from other boards, LOL! ;)

Yup, you're another guy with GD-ROM laser reading problems. I had this with my first DC and some of the games.

But adjusting the GDROM BIAS POT makes even scratched discs easy to read...

Email me at: -

gppsomiadis@yahoo.co.uk
cool.gif

and I'll send you a document on how to do this!
biggrin.gif

actualy, i did have problems running an original of shenmue on my dreamcast, it just randomly froze at loading screens, the way i fixed it was buy downloading the backup, which had no such issues

Have you tried an Audio CD lense cleaner? The one with the two little brusher that you put cleaning liquid on? Try this first before doing anything drastic, coz it worked for me.

Back