My email account is sending worms!

lordofduct

Established Member
I have 5 email accounts.

Yahoo... never fucking use, I've had it since 1997 and haven't touched it since except the casual log in to launch

AOL... had this even longer, back since AOL no number, this is my spam dump, if I need to register somewher I use this account and let it fill up with email.

Gmail... I tried for awhile, my work blocked it so I stopped using it. That and their supposed 'spam blocker' sucks fat ball sacks!

SX... this is my very private email account I don't hand out the address for unless it is in person on a slip of paper to a close friend or is linked as my account to you guys here in me profile. That is the only place it is listed on the internet. Not a drop of SPAM in this account... NONE!

Adelphia... very new, I had this account years ago when I had adelphia and then killed it when I cancelled service with their ISP. I got the ISP again 3 months ago and reactivated the account. This account I use for generic stuff, bank statements, cellphone bills, car payment that kind of crap.I don't actually do anything through it I just have that crap emailed there so I can sort through it.

--------

Well I just checked my email there and I got an email from the forum admin at a another forum I go to. This forum I am not registered at with this email account and I haven't been too in over a year. The admin is telling me someone at their forum received a worm from my email account!

I also have to emails bounced back to the adelphia account from yahoo because the receiver is bunk. Bad email address. The text in the supposed email I sent this no named account is gibberish pretending that it is me and I am informing this 'friend' that I got a new email account. Obviousily not me as everything is in 'leet speak'.

Of course this is one of the emails the worm is embedded in.

The final kicker is that I use Linux, the worm is Windows based from what I can tell. I rarely if ever use my Windows machine except to watch movies and listen to music in my living room. Anyways it has been out of service for a month due to a hard drive failure and my brother frying the mobo on it! GRRRRR!

Anyways... I've never had my account stolen like this and I have no idea what the fuck to do about it! What do you think?

----

[EDIT] On a side note. My SX email wasn't working so I posted in the bugs forum and dibz said that someone hadn't updated the link on the left and he just did at that moment. Cool...

Well he also said to PM him because he had to update the login names and crap. I've PM'd him twice and still no response and it doesn't except my login and PW... damn it all to hell!

So yeah, anyone else here can do that? Icey? Mal? admin of some sort, not joe schmoe who obviousily doesn't have access.

It's very possible that someone is just spoofing your mail account and sending crap out through that, and it's not your actual account. If that's the case, there's nothing you can really do about it. If you think it's someone that has actual access to the account though, just change the password, or, if it's not too much of a pain, change the email address.

Lord, I updated your pass. Sorry for the delay on that, my newer job and family etc makes it so I don't have much time with the forums anymore. Ironic since I work for the webhost that hosts SX now, heh.

Oh, and as a side note. The emails being "sent" from you account are more then likely bogus like Skank said. It's very easy to spoof headers on this, and any idiot can check the headers or a bounce and see where it really came from.

Code:
it290@bizness ~ $ telnet localhost 25

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 bizness.it290.com ESMTP Postfix

helo bizness

250 bizness.it290.com

mail from: [email]lord@lordofduct.com[/email]

250 Ok

rcpt to: [email]nobody@nowhere.com[/email]

250 Ok