My restored Ms Pacman Mini Cab

Xavier

Mid Boss
mspacman.JPG

I restored this game a few years ago but never had the chance to play and it just got it out of storage a couple months ago so heres its story :

I saved some cabs from being trashed and this guy saw me doing it and said he had a ms pac man that I could have for free but it was missing the monitor chasis .

So I drove around for a good part of a day looking around the area where this guy said he had a cabinet sitting outside . Finally I found it and this guy working a nearby wharehouse was nice enough to help me load them up .

I got the cabinet home and finally got inside it and guess what monitor was missing everything all that was inside was an old tube with xtreme burn-in .

Nothing else inside the cabinet appeared to be worthwile either .

So I made a new power supply , took an incredible monitor out of a Sega turbo mini , vacumed it and cleaned it out and ordered a new harness from Bob Roberts . I hooked up everything up and guess what the game board was bad :mad: .

I tried to fix the board but it was pretty rotted out and I couldnt figure out what was wrong with it so I looked on ebay and everyone wanted $350+ for there boards . Luckily a tech at the wharehouse had a working one for $250 I talked him into giving me a core trade in on my broken board of $75 . He ranted and raved at me about changing it from an old dc to a new ac power supply but the wharehouse manager said he was nuts and the board accepts both Bob Roberts also said the same thing .

So I got the board home and guess what sucess !!!!!!!!

Now if I wanted to put it on route Id need to fix the lights and hook up the coin slots its on free play right now . And I guess to ake it look kick ass I should paint some of the interior by the monitor and give it new edging .

So in all it cost me a lil less that $450 .

My suggestion is to make contacts with the operaters buy stuff from them here and there and make sure they know that you want thier old cabinets . THey hoard boards and cabinets sometimes its there for repairs and they cant fix them and just go for the easy fixes and sooner or later stuff piles up and they need space ....so they trash stuff often times its not worth taking it to an auction and home collectors usually dont want to fix stuff . Problem is though some places would rather trash stuff than sell it to you let alone give it away .

Sweet, that version is soo much better. :) My HS on the speed version is around 320,000... not great, but not bad either. ;)

Nice, I hope to find a couple Jamma cabinets or build one myself eventually. I had one of the mas home arcade systems for awhile, but was forced to sell it due to financial problems. I had one of my favorite CPS2 games, x-men vs street fighter, along with the original box, manual, and marquee as well.

One of the reasons I got rid of the x-men vs street fighter game was because I didn't want to do the battery hack on it, and it was still running on its original battery. As some of you know, once the battery goes out on it, it loses some of the data and can not be played any more, even with a battery replacement, unless you send it back to the factory to be re-programmed. Apparent copy protection.

One of my favorite classic arcade games is joust. I occasionally see old cabinets in classified ads locally for around $150-$200, but that's always when I don't have the extra cash to spend, unfortunately.

Back