My Saturn model 2 with IC64pin chip doesn't work

Hello everybody. This is my first post here so please, be gentle with me XD.

Some weeks ago I tried to install a modchip V2 (the one that needs a 2nd ribbon cable and has just one cable to solder) on my Saturn model 2 with IC64pin chip. At first, it didn't accept nor original neither backup games, it just read them like audio-cd's. I tried every possible configuration on the modchip (0014, 0019, connecting the ribbon cables in every possible way...) but nothing worked. At that time, when I put the modchip out the console, it worked great with original games, but after trying to put the modchip again, the behaviour of my saturn is the following: the console doesn't detect door opening and the CD reader doesn't spin. These are the sympthoms or behaviour of the Saturn when I turn it on:

1. System config. (that's because the lithium battery is K.O). The CD reader doesn't move, so this is the first "Uh-oh".
  2. After configuring language, time and date, the console goes directly to the BIOS without doing the logo animation (you know, loads of polygons floating and finally creating the Sega Saturn logo). The CD reader remains stopped.
  3. Once in the Control Panel, it says "checking disk format" for a long time, without spinning the disk (it is still stopped). After this, nothing else happens.
  4. The cube located to the right of the console is not a box anymore, is more like a yellow balloon, and doesn't change its shape, and the left cube is green. As I told before, It doesn't respond when I open or close the door.
  5. Finally, I have detected that every time the console changes the TV image (for example, from saturn logo to control panel), it makes a very nasty noise, very creepy.

All these sympthoms are from the saturn without modchip. My first priority now is to make it work again. I attach a photo of the control panel where you can see the yellow sphere and the green cube. Also I can tell you that the 21 pin ribbon cable of the saturn works fine because I used it on a 32pin model 2 saturn and it worked fine.

I'm quite upset (but not desperate!) with this strange behaviour, so if anybody can help me, please don't hesitate writing.

Thanks!

EDIT: I also tried the CD reader on the 32pin model 2 and it spins. The Saturn, however, doesn't detect games, only audio tracks (and it doesn't have any modchip). So I could think there's no problem with the CD reader, assuming this last error is due to some incompatibility "64pin CD reader --> 32pin motherboard".

Attachments

• error_saturn_1.JPG
    error_saturn_1.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 144
I don't want to be boring with this post, but any contribution will be accepted.

Does anybody have any idea of what's happening to me?

Thanks!

It's been a while since I posted here. Nobody here and in other saturn support forums was able to give me a good solution about what was happening to me, everybody talked about the 21 pin ribbon (it is bad connected, it is broken, etc...). At last, some days ago, I picked once again the Saturn, and comparing it with another working one, I discovered that the problem was located on the 5v power supply of the CD driver: it didn't work correctly. So I though that I could supply those 5v from another place: I did a cable bridge between the 2nd pin of the CD drive green connector and the 5v point that is on the main power supply (don't know if it is its name), and voilá! It worked! Now I've a fully functional Saturn again!

Nothing more, hope this can help someone!

See you!

Back