Need Advice On How to Repair Genesis 2

Hello again. I had posted a couple of topics a while back about my malfunctioning sega cd. With your forum's advice, I was able to repair the system. Thank you for the help. Because of the good information I had recieved before, I hope someone can help me with this latest problem.

Two days ago, I had recieved a 32x, sega cd, and genesis 2 from EBay. After repairing the sega cd and 32x, I had begun to start my efforts on the Genesis 2. Everything seems to work fine except that the system seems to not be recieving any signals from my controllers. I had checked the leads on the motherboard, which appear to be fine. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by Robot_House@Tue, 2006-05-09 @ 07:15 PM

Hello again. I had posted a couple of topics a while back about my malfunctioning sega cd. With your forum's advice, I was able to repair the system. Thank you for the help. Because of the good information I had recieved before, I hope someone can help me with this latest problem.

Two days ago, I had recieved a 32x, sega cd, and genesis 2 from EBay. After repairing the sega cd and 32x, I had begun to start my efforts on the Genesis 2. Everything seems to work fine except that the system seems to not be recieving any signals from my controllers. I had checked the leads on the motherboard, which appear to be fine. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you for your time.

[post=146180]Quoted post[/post]​

Both controller ports are bad? Do you have any spare known-working controllers to test with?

Take a look at the underside of the PCB where the joystick connector pins are. The solder may be broken around one or more pins. Use a soldering iron to reflow the solder so a good connection is made. (might as well touch up the A/V connector and power connector while you are at it ;)

I'd use a multimeter and verify that joystick port pin 5 is +5V and pin 9 is ground, using a known good test point (e.g. the 7805) for reference. Genesis pads won't work without +5V present, or if the ground reference is screwed up the inputs may not be valid.

I'm not too familiar with the Genesis 2, but I can't think of much else that would cause this problem. The chip that handles the inputs does a lot of other functions too, so if it was broken the system probably wouldn't work at all.

Back