Need Networking Help

Well this worked for a long time... Then a few days ago stopped working and I don't know where my problem is or what is causeing it...

Here's the set up...

Code:
                Internet Connection

|

PC

|

Router

|

+---------+---------+

|     |     |

Laptop    Xbox   PS2

Now for the problem... I used to be able to share the internet connection just fine from the PC to Everything below it... now I can't share the interent... I can still share files between evertyhing from the PC Down, I just can't share the internet connection...despite turning on internet connection shareing, my efforts are useless...

So to all you networking buffs out there, please tell me an efficent way to get the interent on all the devices in the current setup i have above...

Both PC and Laptop are running Windows XP SP2, It is a Netgear 4port Cable/DSL router... if any help can be provided, I thank you.

Try this setup so that your PC doesn't have to be on for the other systems to get internet access.

Code:
  Internet Connection

|

|

Router

|

+-----+-----+-----+

|     |     |     |

PC  Laptop  Xbox2 PS3

This is how I have my network setup at home, and printer/file sharing works too.

That is the ideal set up... I originally had it like that.. but for some reason the connection just drops out...I think that has something to do with the router interacting with my college's crappy network... Everything will work fine for about 20min. if I have that set up then everything disconnects and I have to reset/unplug the router.

That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get my old set up working again..as it was stable for about a month.

Ummm, correct me if I am wrong, are you using a crossover cable from the PC to the router. Ports should only need to be forwarded if you are having NAT problems on the router!!! also if this happend since you installed SP2 there may be problems with the new firewall shit they have on it. Try turning the new SP2's firewall. If that works then go in and screw with the settings if you really want it on, i personally keep the crap thing off!

Also I don't get why you are having problems using the router first and splitting that between the four. Your saying you are using it on your schools internet access, they may have some tech guys to help. Atleast I think they SHOULD, but then again they don't even know what they are doing!

The network guys told me to get rid of the router and go buy a hub...i don't think that's the best solution...

I've had this working with SP2...I've had it working with the firewall on and off....the strange thing is I don't know what changed...there was a power outage a while back and it must have reset the router...but why that matters I don't know....

If I try and run internet connection shareing wizard it will give me an error saying that IP's conflict (windows trys to assign one of the computers to 192.168.0.1, which is the same as the router, so I change the router to 192.168.0.2 which solves the IP conflict, but the internet still doesn't work) I took a cisco class and I remember something to do with the IP ending in a 1 or 0 or something it was a broadcast address?? That would send out all info to the computers below it...so in my mixed up, half-assed theory I think it should work...I'd give this all up, but I know that somehow this works...as it once did.

Thanks for the replys guys.. :damn:

AHHHHH! okay... set op the comp to only share with the router. Then go into the router (just type in the IP address of the router into IE or Firefox, whichever you use) and in its settings set up DHCP for anything hooked to it... it will then give IP addresses to those! Also see if you can give the router an IP address of your choice... it should be 192.168.1."0 or 100" then anything on it should be 2.101 2.102 so on so forth!

i feel bad... i have this feeling inside like im allllll wrong. But thats what lack of sleep does to ya!

You say you have a Netgear.. is it an RP614 by chance? I have that model, and it would do exactly what you're describing -- during heavy activity, it would just die and I'd have to power cycle it to get it going again. It frustrated me to no end, but I realized it was a problem with the router. Eventually, Netgear released a new firmware version that corrected the problem. If you have this router, you need to upgrade to the latest firmware (I believe it might still be classified as 'beta'). Even if you don't have an RP614, it's possible that your router is similar and shares the same bug, so try upgrading the firmware regardless. After you do that you should be able to put all your machines behind the router and have it work.

it290, I could kiss you... I do indeed have the RP614, updated the firmware and it hasn't dropped....YET...

now i've got it back to most logical setup

Code:
       Internet Connection

|

|

Router

|

+-----+-----+-----+

|     |     |     |

PC  Laptop  Xbox PS2

Thank you all for your help... Once again this is tribute to what a good community that has formed here at segaxtreme...

I thank you all again :cheers

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Tue, 2004-11-16 @ 01:40 PM

Hey, when did you upgrade to an Xbox2 and PS3? :huh

:hehehe:

[post=123910]Quoted post[/post]​

when I copied it from your post :D , fixed now

Back