NES Mods - RGB, s-video, 60Hz

Hi,

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour of RGB capable NES consoles out there, perhaps in France? If not, is there any way of getting s-video from one, please?

Also, if I were to add an NTSC PPU to a PAL console as a means of adding a 50/60Hz switch (I'm getting quite fond of them - check the sig:)), can I just solder it over the top and then run a voltage to a 'master' pin on either chip to enable it? I know this works with pin 28 of the N64 PIF for imports, but I don't know the pinout for the PPU:(

Thanks

James

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour of RGB capable NES consoles out there, perhaps in France? If not, is there any way of getting s-video from one, please?

Well, I trust Chris Covell on this one, so here's his answer from his NES Tech FAQ:

<span style='color:green'>Can I get RGB video from my NES?

No. Absolutely not. The NES generates composite video, and nothing better, directly from its PPU. There are NES units that do output RGB signals, but they are only: 1) Units which Nintendo used in-house to take game screenshots, 2) Play Choice 10 arcade units, and 3) French NES units, which may or may not generate an RGB signal natively. Sorry.</span>

I've heard that the details of certain (rarely used) features of the NES PPU suggest that it uses something along the lines of YUV internally, so there might be one out there that can output that, which might be transcoded to RGB. This is all purely speculation, of course...

You can get S-Video from a composite signal, but this only offers a quality advantage if your conversion circuit is better than the one in your TV.

Also, if I were to add an NTSC PPU to a PAL console as a means of adding a 50/60Hz switch (I'm getting quite fond of them - check the sig), can I just solder it over the top and then run a voltage to a 'master' pin on either chip to enable it?

I doubt it. Unless I'm mistaken, you also need to change the master clock in order for everything to be correct. However, I've not seen any documentation on this, and it might be wrong.

(Edited by ExCyber at 8:33 pm on April 5, 2002)

I checked around GSX and some other sources, but couldn't find any info on how to get stereo audio output from the NES, nor composite video via a RCA connector (versus the RF box). Any ideas on where I can get the details? Thanks!!

-Mangaman-

I got a Nintendo in Canada while I was visiting there. I noticed that it had A/V for video and left audio. If I can recall my childhood, I dont remember there being an A/V for my American NES (I hate myself for selling it). Or maybe my memory is really bad.

Back