New PS2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Is there any word on a new PS2? A smaller version kinda like the PSOne, so a PSTwo, haha. I wanna get a PS2 but I want a smaller one damnit, or even sumthin more reliable. The PS2's get half-reliable yet?

nope, sorry, everything Sony makes is crap :)

** ducks for cover **

jk (partially) I'd hold out a little longer. I bet they will make a smaller version in the next year or two

I sometimes think that when you stack a bunch of new PS2 boxes in a pile, they get bored and play russian roulette.

You: "Hey, why is my new PS2 covered in blood??"

Store: "Uh oh, looks like we got another DOA!"

Seriously though, do you think that producing a compact cheaper version of the PS2 will result in *better* quality? Just buy a PS2 the next time they drop the price, unless you want to take your chances with a used one. I mean, it is possible to get a fully functioning unit used from a reputable store.

I would just get a fresh new one. I'll have to get one for GT4 and GTA: San Andreas. Looks like it's gunna be a PS2 only release for awhile. A PC port is in the works but no word on XBox.

My bro's PSOne is holding out well, got it when it first came out, still runnin strong. Although it is a lil flimsy, woulda liked to see it a lil more durrable. Are the new PS2's ever a lil better than the old ones?

Also, do they have any bundles that come w/ the hdd and modem? I would like both, and if they can come all in one package for a cheaper price I will be happy :).

(in writing this, my mouse just died...needs a recharge :p)

the idea of making them smaller is to reduce manufacturing costs. Since a new "cheaper" model ps2 was recently released i doubt a re-modeled ps2 will b released until alot later if at all.

i recently bought a ps2 but have since grown terribly bored with it. i did buy it 4 the excellent games available on it but i neglect it for my megadrive.

Well, $ony did register the "PSTwo" trademark. I bet it'll be like the PS2 launch.

Release a slimmed down model a day or two before/after their next console.

I bet the trimmed down version will be PS2 only, and no PSX backward compatibility.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 12, 2004 @ 03:50 AM

I bet the trimmed down version will be PS2 only, and no PSX backward compatibility.

How do you figure that? That would be a pretty retarded move on their part.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 11, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

From a technical standpoint, why do you believe this?

Cloud, the PS2 I/O processor is basically an enhanced PSX core, and plays a critical role in the system. It seems unlikely that Sony has any room to cut it down.

As for PS2 reliability, with SCEI's record you're always going to be taking a small chance, just do the best research that you can, buy from a place with a good return policy, and remember that people don't post to say that their PS2 is working fine. ;)

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 12, 2004 @ 06:29 AM

Cloud, the PS2 I/O processor is basically an enhanced PSX core, and plays a critical role in the system. It seems unlikely that Sony has any room to cut it down.

Exactly, this is what I was about to state.

Actually, my xbox mag states that GTA 4 just might come out for xbox by spring of 2005. It sounds far, but its not that far away. I would reccomend getting a ps2 anyways. Theres other games you could get too.

Ya, there will be some....but it'sd gunan be a very LITTLE used system. My XBox gets used the most cuz of emulation of older consoles. As far as actually playing current-gen titles, my GCN owns that, haha.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:29 AM

Looks like they're going to be relying (entirely?) on emulation with the PS3. I wonder what MS is going to do, I haven't heard anything but rumors on that front.

I don't have details, but I've seen a couple things that suggest that the PSX GPU is already emulated on PS2. In any case there is certainly a solid chunk of software involved to manage everything.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 14, 2004 @ 11:11 AM

I don't have details, but I've seen a couple things that suggest that the PSX GPU is already emulated on PS2. In any case there is certainly a solid chunk of software involved to manage everything.

Yeah, that's why I put the (entirely?) in there. Apparently they're not going to have any PS2 hardware in the PS3. Since they're dealing with expensive hardware, they have to save wherever possible. I mean, the RAM alone for the new machine is probably going to be pretty expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back