New Screens for Panzer Dragoon on PS2

racketboy

Established Member
No more jaggies!

Yes, the classic Saturn titles is getting a slight graphical upgrade on an upcoming PS2 release.

pd-ps2.jpg

Read and see more!

What do you guys think? I know the screens are small right now, but it looks to be the perfect balance of graphical improvement while maintaining the original look and feel.

We'll see how it goes, Sega's porting record to the PS2 has been spotty. The new Sega Rally port is supposed to be good though, so maybe this one will be too. I wonder why they decided to port the original and not Zwei though -- that one was better in every department (except music perhaps) IMO.

Yeah, but I'm under the impression that Sega learned their lesson from all the negative comments before.

The others seemed to be rushes and more of a total remake instead of slight enhancements.

And I would assume they would just start with the original and (hopefully) more onto the others afterwards.

Originally posted by racketboy@Thu, 2006-01-19 @ 02:39 PM

And I would assume they would just start with the original and (hopefully) more onto the others afterwards.

Hopefully, yes. :banana

damn it, and I recently sold my PS2

and with the news of DragonForce as well... I'm starting to wish I didn't.

It would be better if they were also doing #2 for both games (DF and PD)

It seems odd to re-release panzer dragoon one as there is already a port of it included with panzer dragoon orta on the xbox, but none of panzer dragoon zwei.

Is there a western release schedueled?

no western yet (same with Dragon Force), but it most likely will -- lesser titles have made it over.

The XBox one with Orta didn't have enhancements, did it?

Supposedly Sony is set to relax their Western PS2 licensing policy in 2007, after the PS3 comes out. SNK Playmore have said that they are holding off on releasing specific titles until after that date, and I imagine it may be the same story with some of the Sega Ages releases. So we may see DF and PD in the West, but probably not for a while.

Originally posted by Merick@Thu, 2006-01-19 @ 09:33 PM

As far as I can tell, the Xbox version inf Orta is exactly the same as the original saturn version.

[post=143633]Quoted post[/post]​

It is exactly the same...

I played Orta for hours on end... unlocked EVERYTHING and played the port of PD on it to the end a couple times.

It's the exact same game.

I hope they do Zwei, they should... and one that if they did release and would make TONS of actual money is Saga... you know if Saga was rereleased people all over the west here would be swarming on that thing.

But then Sega might also be too proud of the Cult fascination fans have over it... do you think they would be that prideful?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Fri, 2006-01-20 @ 04:40 AM

one that if they did release and would make TONS of actual money is Saga... you know if Saga was rereleased people all over the west here would be swarming on that thing.

But then Sega might also be too proud of the Cult fascination fans have over it... do you think they would be that prideful?

[post=143637]Quoted post[/post]​

It probably depends on the amount of work and the amount of profit they would make from the game. I doubt they have any loyalty left for saturn exclusivity as ultimately they are just a business(even if a very talented one) who want to make as much money as possible.

The Ages 2500 series seems to have picked up a little ever since Sega took over from D3 and started doing them in-house.

I have the PS2 version of Dragon Force. It plays *exactly* the same as the Saturn version, right down to specific little camera oddities during battle. The only differences are the visuals (much better), the audio (closely resembles the Saturn synth), and a little extra content (a couple extra bosses; an encyclopedia-type record book of characters and stuff).

I'm getting Gunstar Heroes soon since it comes packaged with Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy. $150+ value on a $25 disc!

Originally posted by it290@Sat, 2006-01-21 @ 06:32 PM

The Treasure box is just running through emulation though, correct?

[post=143670]Quoted post[/post]​

We don't know yet as they didn't released any screens of the Sega Ages version. Dynamite Deka and Panzer Dragoon only had screens of the original versions too till recently. We will know for sure in a month though.

The Treasure Box is emulated, AFAIK. It's even going to feature some emulation options, so the players can tweak their experience. It's possible to choose between high-res scaled mode and a low-res (faux?) mode that is supposed to better reproduce the original Genesis video output. You can also enable/disable the original slowdowns and the sprite limit flickering.

The quality of the sound emulation is still unknown, but since this compilation is being handled with so much care, I hope Treasure disable sound emulation entirely and performs sound "simulation" using samples and music pre-recorded straight from the original sound hardware for best results.

Such technique was used in Saturn's Sonic Jam, and in several other compilations for the 32-bit (Atari classics did the same thing too, since emulating the sound was too expensinve on the PSOne).

Back