Next Console Purchase!

Cloud121

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm having a tough time deciding on which console to buy next. I hope to get either one by mid to late January (as that will be when I have enough money). Keep in mind, I am getting BOTH, I just don't know which to get FIRST.

The 'Box has Sega, DOA, and Other Top Titles

The 'Cube has Nintendo's First Party Titles, RE, and Star Wars

Here are the possible packages:

Nintendo GameCube - $80

Mem Card 251 - $20

Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader - $15

Resident Evil - $16

Metroid Prime - $25

Total: $156 + Shipping

Nintendo GameCube - $80

Mem Card 251 - $20

Resident Evil - $16

Metroid Prime - $25

Wave Race Blue Storm - $18

Total: $174 + Shipping

Nintendo GameCube - $80

Mem Card 251 - $20

Resident Evil - $16

Metroid Prime - $25

Star Fox Adventures - $20

WWF Wrestlemania XVIII - $15

NBA Courtside 2002 - $10

Total: $201 + Shipping

Nintendo GameCube - $80

Mem Card 251 - $20

Resident Evil - $16

Metroid Prime - $25

Star Fox Adventures - $20

Wave Race Blue Storm - $18

NBA Courtside 2002 - $10

Total: $204 + Shipping

Microsoft XBox with Halo Free - $150

NFL Fever 2002 - $5

Dead or Alive 3 - $18

Panzer Dragoon Orta - $18

Project Gotham Racing - $12

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast - Free from Friend

Total: $203 + Shipping

Microsoft XBox with Halo Free - $150

NFL Fever 2002 - $5

Dead or Alive 3 - $18

Panzer Dragoon Orta - $18

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - $13

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast - Free from Friend

$204 + Shipping

Edit: What's Gun Valkyrie like? I'm tempted to get it with the 'Box simply because it's Sega, but I dunno....

Edit 2: I'm leaning towards the GameCube now. But I still got a lot of time to decide.

Gunvalkarie is nice, beautiful graphics and everything... plays well and has a decent story line.. I would recommend it, and its cheap, wooo hoooo double bonus. :cheers

Also if you are looking for a wrestling title thats good, I have to say don't get either raw for the box, and wrestlemania for the cube... both are bad, although the lesser of the two evils is wrestlemania.... which is tolerable, whereas raw is just horrible....lol

Gun Valkyrie is an ok game. It has Decent graphics and for the price is pretty cool. Now as for StarWars, i have to give it up to XBox for Knights of the Old Republic. You gotta get that game eventually.

if u go xbox, get it modded, only reason to have the console. Any your choices of GCN games baffle me.....try this list of games

Zelda: WW-

Zelda bonus disc(comes w/ cube)

mario kart: DD

Metroid

Eternal Darkness (SOOOOO much better than ANY RE game)

Mario (this is iffy, it's an alright game, but not as good as Mario64 IMO)

Note: Courtside is horrable.....wave race is cool...but real shallow as to replay value. RE games are so-so, dpends if that's your bag or not. Starwars is the same....if that's what u like, it's the best around. SFA is pretty shitty, just like courtside it's one of the reasons why the big N dropped the company (they are 2 dif companies mind you).

As far as XBox......there aren't too many exclusives that are too good. Gun Valkerie is alright, but not worth the purchase of a console. DOA2 is better than 3 IMO. I still like the first one the best :). PDO is alright...once again the saturn games are better...Metal Gear Solid - Substance doesn't have much over the PS2 game and the remake of MGS is being put on GCN only. Fever 2002 blows, stick w/ the ESPN (2k) series or maybe even madden as far as football goes. as for the jedi outcast game, get it for PC.....SO much better.

Basically, buy a GCN unless you are going to mod yer xbox and throw a 120gig HDD in it. I am pretty sure u already have a PS2 so games like MSG2 and the GTA series are already available to you. So ya, 1 vote for a GCN (but choose better games....HIGHLY reccomend Eternal Darkness..) Hope this helps :).

Hmm...

well, the Gamecube is one badass little monster, with very few games, but those few are ALL awesome. (well.. 99.9%)

As for the Xbox, there are some seriously good games out there, (KotOR) plus you can mod your box to play nearly every other game console and arcade machine out there.. thats a big plus.

I have both already, so I cant really help you. I just need to get another cheap PS2.

BJammzz:

Those are the games I wanna get WITH the 'Cube. I do plan on getting those games eventually as well.

You DO realise the GameCube isn't Sega-free, right?

Look for Super Monkey Ball 2 and F-Zero GX.

Star Fox Adventures isn't a bad game, but it has literally ZERO replay value.

If you're gonna get Rogue Squadron, FOR GOD'S SAKE GET REBEL STRIKE. Don't even bother with Rogue Leader - RL is even included IN Rebel Strike as co-op missions!

Oh, and I wouldn't touch Wave Race or Courtside with a 20 foot pole.

I didnt' like WR64, and Blue Storm is even worse... and no basketball game since NBA Jam TE for SNES and Genesis has been worth playing.

It really depends on what kind of games you like. Essentially, Xbox is very strong on American/European PC-style games (read: FPS) and sports games, while Gamecube is very strong on traditional console-style Japanese games.

A few titles worthy of mention which I own and personally recommend:

Metroid Prime

Eternal Darkness

Reident Evil

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Pikmin

Animal Crossing

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Super Monkey Ball

I mention the Gamecube games only because I don't own an Xbox, which is the next system I plan on buying unless the PS2 drops it's price to less than the competition.

Some Xbox games that look interesting to me:

Star Wars: KOTOR

Fable

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Otogi

Advent

I now have both of the options :)

I really can't choose between the 2 though, each are good in their own right. Just look at the top 2 games you want most for each system and weigh which you'd most likely play the most.

I got the xbox for Halo,DOA3, and graphics heavy games.I have also used system link quite a few times (something I never though about doing before) and I gotta say it rules to have so many people in the same room playing the same game. And if you want online in a console, then look for xbox. Great live games out now, and a slew more to come. I really don't use live all that much at the moment, but it has nice features. When Halo 2 and more anticipated live enabled games come out I will be using it much more, I'm sure.

I got a gamecube more for when I have those gameless friends and for F-Zero GX, Super monkey ball 2, Mario Party 5 and perhaps Mario Kart:Double dash. Its multiplayer games are easier to pick up for those who suck at gaming, and simplicity is fun. Wavebirds are cool too, I plan on getting 4 platinum ones to go with my platinum system. But at the moment I have not logged in as much time on the GC (since I just got it) so I can't say as much.

both are really great systems with nice exclusives that I am sure will not let you down... it depends on what you prefer.

Originally posted by mal@Dec 24, 2003 @ 04:21 AM

Strike one vote from Xbox and add it to Gamecube.

I clicked the wrong one. :blush:

can't you just use your omnipotency and edit the poll? Then you can also weigh your opinion more heavily too :lol:

---Ammut

I got $200 in Xmas Money, and I'm going to go get a 'Cube in a few minutes. Along with a few games. I hope to get a 'Box sometime in February or March.

Just got back! Here's what I got:

Platinum GameCube

MadCatz Mem Card (They had no First-Party Mem Cards in-stock <_< )

Metroid Prime

Rogue Squadron II

Wave Race Blue Storm

WWF Wrestlemania XVIII

Total: $186

Originally posted by Cloud121@Dec 26, 2003 @ 04:45 PM

Just got back! Here's what I got:

Platinum GameCube

MadCatz Mem Card (They had no First-Party Mem Cards in-stock <_< )

Metroid Prime

Rogue Squadron II

Wave Race Blue Storm

WWF Wrestlemania XVIII

Total: $186

third party mem caards beg for u to lose saves

edit: get a wavebird, they rox

He already GOT a GC.

And third-party memory cards aren't a problem, DEPENDING ON SIZE.

For example, the 64Mb (1,019 block) cards are third-party only and they OWN. I've had an Interact 16x since like a week or two after they appeared (so well over a year), it's over HALF FULL, and not a single file is corrupt. As a matter of fact, it SAVED my Tony Hawk 3 file, once. Woo. They also save about 10x faster than smaller cards (no compression, else it'd take MORE time, not less!). ph33r SD technology.

Yeah, The one I got is uncompressed. It's one of those "Memory Card 59" or whatever Nintendo calls 'em.

Back