Nintendo's Smart Move

Bye bye PSP! You've been bragging about your internet browser and awesome media cababilities. Yet still the DS has outsold you 10:1! And now Nintendo has decided to add a internet browser, music player, something that lets you watch your favorite TV shows, and rumor has it a camera! Sony made the mistake by selling the PSP for 250. For now Nintendo is way up on sales and is going to get a lot more from these addidtions! Sony fans may say we're just copying them, but really, all Nintendo is doing is being smart. If Nintendo would have released the DS with the Internet Browser and everything else, the DS would have easily reached $250. Smart move Nintendo!

Wonder how the internet function is exactly supposed to work. Yeah, I know you can use the stylus like a mouse in all, but what about the top screen? All I can think of is a menu of sorts. And what about the TV Tuner, can we get cable or sattelite on it?

Regardless, I like it. Now all we need is a portable couch, I'm sure Nintendo will think of that somehow. Maybe they can also make use of that microphone, say using it for talking to other DS owners; something you can't do on the PSP (to my knowledge).

Maybe they can team up with La-Z-Boy or something because of this TV Tuner thing. You can't have a TV without a comfy chair to sit on :wink:

I've heard of the Music Player, called the Play-Yan; they had it in Japan when the GBA was fresh. I've been waiting for Nintendo to make them for the United States. Heard Play-Yans don't have region lock like the DS, that's good. Too bad I don't have the money to go to Japan, otherwise I would've just to get one. Guess I don't have to now.
I'm betting the music player is the Play-Yan, though it might be named something else in the States and Europe.

The only "mistake" by Sony were the UMD format instead of carts and that wonky d-pad even Capcom had to release a d-pad cover similar to the Saturn d-pad.

Don't forget the numb of a control stick they included and the Square button being way too close to the screen.

The UMDs would work, but the PSP is the only thing that uses them. PS2 can't use them, neither can any other DVD formatted system. Can't play regular DVDs, and who wants to buy another type of media when you have it on a more universal format?

Sure, cartridges are the same in that case, but Nintendo did work with that and made the DS and every Game Boy backwards compatible. As for other media, who needs a handheld video game system when you can use another device (say, an iPod)?

Portable DVD players, iPod, Laptop, any of these can be used with higher quality and format than with the PSP, and with that you can get a DS. Cost? Unless you're frugal about money, quality doesn't need second-guessing.

Cart based portables have other advantages too such as no motor meaning less energy consumed to spin the disk and move the laser, more compact, less likely to die due to a dead laser so common with the Playstation's consoles. Also like you said no one needs another media format for movies considering it can only be played on the PSP at an inferior quality to a DVD.

Back