Nomad AC port replacment and secuirty bolt

Hello all,

I picked up a Sega Nomad for pretty cheap today ($15) so I expected it to have some problems, unfortunately I was right. The only thing that I can see that's wrong with it is the AC power port on the top of the unit. When the system is on the LED power light will be on but, you have to hold the power jack and tilt it to the left to give the system continuous power otherwise it will shut off. The AC adapter works perfectly since I tested it on my Sega Game Gear, so I assume the problem must be with the AC power port itself.

I believe I have an extra AC port from a Nomad I took apart before which had a bad screen. Unfortunately I need a "security bolt" bit to open the Nomad. It has a few regular phillips screws and then one security bolt on the bottom. I don't want to yank the thing apart (like I did with the broken one) because that will break the plastic. This is the same type of bolt is found on the back of the Sega Genesis carts and Sega Game gear carts although the size may vary slightly. I found two variations of the bit online for $4 each but, the problem is the bit may not be long enough.

The bolt is in a hole about 1 inch into the Nomad plastic casing. So I'd need a small skinny screwdriver with the proper bolt bit. Unfortunately the photos on the site that has the bits aren't too clear. See 3.8mm Bit and 4.5mm Bit.

I think if I can get the unit open I should be able to solder on a new AC power jack onto it, or at least see why it's so loose. I guess if I can't get it open maybe I could try and make a AC port but connect it to the back -/+ for the battery pack, although I'm unsure if that would work. If anyone has any information or advice on this subject I'd really appreciate more information. :)

Thanks!

-Steve

Back