NTSC Saturn on PAL TV

A friend of mine has a PAL TV and the Saturn I sent him was US NTSC Saturn and he is using an RGB Scart cable from Lik Sang as a connection. The System worked perfect for me so I know it must be an issue with his TV and the Saturn, but could the RGB cable be bad? I have attached some images he took of what the screen looks like. BTW he lives in Denmark.

Thanks

P3090018.JPG

P3090016.JPG

P3090012.JPG

Looks like the TV doesn't like the NTSC sync rate. Has your friend ever hooked up other NTSC systems to this TV?

He says his TV supports 60hz PAL is that different than NTSC 60Hz?

The region switch is probably out of the question for him to try, so if the TV is indeed at fault his only alternative would be to purcahse some sort of standalone NTSC to PAL conversion box correct?

Does he have a Dreamcast? Some games have a 50/60Hz menu option if his TV plays both refresh rates perfectly then the tv seems to be incompatible with NTSC but it's strange because the image is in color only the refresh is messed up. Just tell him to buy a new TV something in the range of 60 to 70 Euros should do. Just for safe try opening the scart cable (head) and see if all wires are connect.

He tried it on a different TV and this is what he said about that:

"I tried the saturn onmy 32" flatscreen (I wont be playing i ton that since

the pixelation is horrible) to test it.

Putting the rgb cable in the rgb supported full scart in on that tv gives me

the exact same problem as with my normal tv, but putting it in the non-rgb

half scart in works!! Don’t ask me how..."

I am very unfamiliar with inputs not used here in the US so Im not quite sure what he is saying by full scart and half scart.

Maybe that can shed a little bit more light on the situation. You mentioned its in color and thats whats throwing me off. If it was black and white the problem would be easy to diagnose. Also, he does not have a dreamcast so we cannot test using that.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Fri, 2006-03-10 @ 08:13 AM

Looks like the TV doesn't like the NTSC sync rate. Has your friend ever hooked up other NTSC systems to this TV?

[post=145004]Quoted post[/post]​

No I believe this is the first NTSC device he has tried playing.

I have no idea neither what is half scart and full scart. I tried my jp saturn on all TV's an only one the Nokia TV didn't support NTSC the image was in b&w but I never experienced that problem. I wonder how he knows if his TV really does support 60Hz.

Originally posted by Zheræ@Sun, 2006-03-12 @ 06:26 AM

I have no idea neither what is half scart and full scart. I tried my jp saturn on all TV's an only one the Nokia TV didn't support NTSC the image was in b&w but I never experienced that problem. I wonder how he knows if his TV really does support 60Hz.

[post=145055]Quoted post[/post]​

My Nokia tv just gives a black screen but i can hear sounds when i use my scart cable but it works on my newer tv. hummmmm.

mines pal btw

Back