Ongoing coverage of the Nintendo Conference

ExCyber

Staff member
IGN has ongoing coverage of the Nintendo press conference that is currently underway. Direct quotes are sparse, so this should be seen as preliminary info, but some interesting bits are in there, including Iwata apparently saying that you will be able to get every Nintendo game ever made on Revolution via downloads, what sounds like a media player attachment, and a focus on reducing costs for developers.

And the new GB Micro :) Revolution being able to play games from NES to GC was a really smart move seems like Nintendo will be on the front line this time! Free online play is also a very nice move by N.

free online is awesome, hope it's supported well though. Wireless controllers? woot!

Seems they have sumthin up their sleeves for the controllers.....perhaps the ability to change the button layout (so you could have a diamon shape (ps2/xbox) or a 6-button setup or whatever?). Been wantin this for about 7-8 years now and have yet to see anyone make it. when I get old enuf, if it's not made, I will make it. This was button layouts can be infinite, would be awesome but not so simple to do.

Maybe a little screen so you can play those downloaded games on the go?

GameBoy Micro completly compatible with GBA:
gbmicro2nm.jpg

Oh and apparently the Nintendo Revolution is the final name after all.

My thoughts exactly...

I've been preaching about the Wireless thing since the GDC... but alas, not many have listened. Now they will :)
I think Nintendo would do great if they just went to a SNES style controller... that was my fav. Of course, they'd have trouble finding a spot to put the trigger ;)
I don't know if the N will be on the frontline though... i mean, think about it, all the kids are gonna be raving about the PS3 and 360 cuz they'll have all the new super violent, super sexy games that are really popular now.
But Nintendo will probably still be the choice for many Families that play videogames, mainly because the big N still offers good clean wholesome fun...

Man I can't wait til the Revolution... it's gonna be great!

I think Nintendo may be better positioned this time. The PS3 is gonna be pricey. With the hardware, I don't see the PS3 gor for anything under $400; and Nintendo should be able to go for $200. The XBox should come out somewhere between the two. As long as N doesn't lose market share, they are winning the battle.

The price thing doesn't make as big an impact as one would imagine, Nintendo's been playin that card for years now and it works, but only if the difference is vast.

Remember, the majority of gamers are 29 y/o guys... and those types of people usually have jobs so they don't really care about price as long as they can get their GTA on ;)

Buuuuuuuut... like i said, Nintendo is a favorite among the "mommy mommy, can i get that?" demographic.

EDIT: nothing wrong with that demographic, i used to be among them, but the point is that those sales usually aren't covered in the big name mags...

I don't know about 29 being the average age of console gamers. That seems awefully high. I had always heard it was in the lower 20's. And as for the younger demo's, Sony contolls them too.

I personally am 27; and there is no way in hell I'll pay more than $300 for a new system. Once you add it games and accessories, a $400 system would be over $500. For me, that is too much. Especially when you consider 1st gen games usually show little difference over the previous console.

Back