playing burned saturn backups - bin/cue - "tv snow" sound

Hi. I have burned a couple of Saturn images that were originally in bin/cue format, using the cue provided, with cdrdao. The games work on my chipped Saturn, but on some title screens (and in some cases the whole game) the music track is this "tv snow" sound. This only leads me to believe that somehow the cue files were not correct, or that I've left out some other step in my burn process. The only thing I've changed in the cue files prior to burning are to point it to the correct .bin file, if necessary.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a solution?

Thanks!

I think I figured this out. Unbeknownst to me, cdrdao apparently cannot fully understand cue files, meaning you can get a successful burn but the audio tracks in a cue will not work. I followed the Linux burning tutorial in these forums, and while although that is a GREAT tut, I don't recall seeing this important fact mentioned.

Here's what I did to get my audio files burned properly on Linux using cdrdao:

1. Use bchunk on the bin file to get an iso and all wav rips:

bchunk -w mybin.bin mycue.cue mygame

(an iso and wavs are generated from the bin)

2. Use SegaCueMaker with Wine to generate the cue (or write your own).

3. Use cue2toc to generate a .toc file from the cue that was created:

cue2toc -o myNewToc.toc mycue.cue

4. Burn with cdrdao as usual using the toc file:

cdrdao write --driver generic-mmc-raw --device /dev/cdrom --speed 2 myNewToc.toc

5. Works as intended! Main point: be sure to use toc and not cue when burning with cdrdao! Don't be happy to just burn a bin if you want it to be spot on. At least, this is what I had to do to get it working.

I didn't see any responses to my post, so I'm not sure if there is much interest in this, or if this has been a well established fact for a while, but I was really stumped by this. I truly hope this post helps somebody! I will now have to re-burn a few of my games. Many of them do not rely on extensive audio tracks, but now that I know how to do this the "proper way" I'll probably wind up re-burning them since I'm so neurotic about my games. ;o)

EDIT: You might be able to get away with just converting the original cue to toc using something like cue2toc, and then still burn just the bin...rather than having to chunk them down into wav files. I still haven't tried this, but it probably would work.

Back