PlayStation 3 Price...

Cloud121

Established Member
Low End Model = PS3 with 20GB HDD = $500

High End Model = PS3 with 60GB HDD = $600

Sony's E3 conference was pretty poor. The only good thing was VF5. But FUCK! $660 for Virtua Fighter 5?!

Virtua Fighter matters more to me than life itself, but I am NOT paying that much come next spring when VF5 releases.

Oh and Sony's PS3 redesign controller? Just take a silver PS2 controller, add motion sensitivity. They say "We don't believe in gimmicks" (Poking fun at the Wiimote). The PS2+ controller? Hm.. I sense just a hint of irony. I was a big fan of the bommerang controller.

THE INNOVATION!111!1!!

I've been waiting ten years for a Warhawk sequel... $660? Not worth it. Fuck you Sony.

I really think Sony's arrogance has 'em this time.

Let's see my planned Revolution purchases for launch day...

Console ($200 - $250 tops)

Super Smash Brothers Revolution ($50)

Super Mario Galaxy ($50)

Metroid Corruption ($50)

Zelda: Twilight Princess ($50)

Sonic Wild Fire ($50)

Madden NFL 2007 ($50)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers ($50)

Red Steel ($50)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz ($50)

Metal Slug Anthology ($50)

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors ($50)

Warioware Revolution ($50)

$900 - $950 Tops.

So basically, for the price of the high end PS3 model (Which is the one I plan on buying), I can get a Wii with seven games.

It's rediculous but I just saw a pic of the tony hawk for revolution and it looks liek a launch GCN game at BEST

I think the PS3 lookes amazing. However, I have the same problem with it as I did w/ the 360... PRICE. For me, $350 is my "price threshold" for a console. I could maybe see $400 if there were killer games and the system rocked. I will maybe get a 360 once MS starts using the new processor core. But to me, the 360 has more functionality. I can hock it up to my network and get stuff off my media pc.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Tue, 2006-05-09 @ 08:15 AM

It's ridiculous but I just saw a pic of the tony hawk for revolution and it looks liek a launch GCN game at BEST

[post=146155]Quoted post[/post]​

Am I the only one on the internet who knows how to spell "ridiculous"?

Also, Tony Hawk still has six months left until launch. You want graphics? Look at Red Steel. The backgrounds and surroundings are amazing.

I know. And the game play looked exciting. On a side note, I'm hear lots of people complaining about the lack of innovation in the PS3, but bitchin about Nintendo over innovating.

Look at it this way : When the first blu-ray players wil come out, they'll cost around $1000 USD. On Nov. 17 (that is if you're lucky) you can get a blu-ray player for as low as 500, plus you can play some expensive games on it. Sony's going to have to bite the bullet for putting in a BD drive: they might even lose more money than the Xbox. Well, give away the razors, sell the blades.....

Yeah, but I have no interest in adopting Blu-Ray. I don't have an HD tv, standard def DVD works fine. Also, one of the tech's is going to fail. Granted, it will probably be HD-DVD, but I don't buy technology based on a hunch. I am a late adopter, I like my tech well tested.

People keep saying that the first Blu-Ray players are going to cost $800-1000. What's the source on this? The only stuff I've read suggests that that's how much recorders are going to cost...

Yeah, but a burner isn't a complete recorder either. That being said, at $1K the drive would easily be the most expensive component in a recorder, so I'm not sure it would cost that much more.

edit: I just checked the official site, and they show two players at MSRP $1000 and one at MSRP $1800. I suspect the average price of a player will be lower than that by the end of the year, though. I think they're mostly fleecing early adopters while competition is scarce.

DVD players were very expensive at release. Also a lot of the high price of these first run BR players comes in the fact that they also have very highend chipsets in them for high quality... due to their already high price the only buyers are your philes out there who will smirk at any low quality parts placed in the machine.

Really... the BR looks like a good idea... but I guarantee you it's success is going to mainly be put in the hands of PS3. Just like the PS2 created the big DVD boom finally dragging the price of DVD players down and making it the mainstream medium. PS3 is going to have to do the same.

The average consumer doesn't really care about high quality (well not until they've used it). Remember when DVD came out everyone didn't really care... they were content with their VHS and it's low quality. But once it finally broke into their homes via media support from things like PCs and the PS2 it became the needed home theatre component of EVERY home.

The problem is PS3 doesn't look like it is going to do a good job at it as it is out of so many peoples reach when it comes to price. The average consumer just can't afford it. When die hard gamers really don't look forward to paying 600 bucks on a console... wonder what bobby's mom is thinking when Xmas comes and is looking at the 500 dollar price tag of the lower end version. Adults are your big spenders here... doesn't Sony realize this? And the majority of your Adults really don't give a fuck about HD, vid games, a new Movie Media Format, and technology in general (when I say adults I don't mean people our age... I'm talking your 35+ parents and the sort). Who is going to buy this thing? REALLY!

Shit most of the videophiles I know out there won't buy it as they hold this mightier then thow mentality of "bundled all in one boxes" = crap quality. For instance my cousin (an audiophile) is in the process of purchasing FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR speaker wire (cough... sorry, high fidelity analog audio cable and couplings)! Do you think these type are gonna go... oh yes lets hook a 600 dollar video game system/BR movie player/music player/media box to my 15000 dollar sound system. NO! My cousin is buying one of those 1000 dollar BR players and thinks he is 'getting a deal' because it's their mentality.

I hope they sink... I hope it's 1983 all over again.

:p

wow... I gab to much.

I also want to add... not to forget that most of these audio and videophiles laugh at Sony all the time for their "crap products"... which I agree with. You ever ask a car audio fanatic about Sony Xplod? :lol:

On top of everything, if you buy the $500 "budget" PS3 you get no HDMI. And no HDMI means blu-ray movies only in 480p. What is the point of a non-HD compatible blu-ray player?

I make an early prediction that Nintendo wins this one if they can compete with microsofts huge foot in the door approach.... this may be the time where quality game play finally beats out graphical power. Sony screwed up with their price... can anyone say NeoGeo or 3DO??

And I thought I spent a lot on the N64 when it launched (it was worthed tho), but that price for PS3 is just ridiculous I found it hard to believe, they probably down it a bit on release day.

Originally posted by Zheræ@Thu, 2006-05-11 @ 07:41 AM

And I thought I spent a lot on the N64 when it launched (it was worthed tho), but that price for PS3 is just ridiculous I found it hard to believe, they probably down it a bit on release day.

[post=146217]Quoted post[/post]​

I was wondering this.. as microsoft used the foot-in-door approach getting a hold of the market before nintendo and sony. Sony might have introduced the ps3 with this huge price then when it comes out maybe release it for 399 and 499 trying to use the door-in-face approach.... telling the public a huge price, then lowering it right away so people get shocked then form the impression that it's more reasonable now. :blink:

For 599 dollars I could build me a sweet as computer. SWEET! Do everything this damn rechid POS can do (beside play PS3 games) and more. I'm more concerned about building my in home integrated network that is going to be sweet.

A PS3? Or a music terminal in every room fed by a Server with a terrabyte of music and movies on it? OHHHHHHHH! Now that makes me drool. :drool:

Ive heard the price of the ps3 be over 700 canadian. Id rather spend that much money buying tons of old school games. Or even buy a xbox 360 and a wii with a game or two. I am not big into the whole next gen gaming scene but I would like to get my hands on halo 3 as well as the new sonic and zelda games. So I really have no reason to buy a ps3.

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Thu, 2006-05-11 @ 10:27 AM

I was wondering this.. as microsoft used the foot-in-door approach getting a hold of the market before nintendo and sony. Sony might have introduced the ps3 with this huge price then when it comes out maybe release it for 399 and 499 trying to use the door-in-face approach.... telling the public a huge price, then lowering it right away so people get shocked then form the impression that it's more reasonable now. :blink:

[post=146222]Quoted post[/post]​

There is a strong possibility of this occurring. However, I have already heard that Sony is spending $700/$800 just to build the lower/higher end versions of the PS3. They're already losing big money, but dropping the price down again would really drain them. Just think of how many games each PS3 owner would have to buy in order to make Sony profit from the sale of the console itself.

Back