Portable Dreamcast

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
This is very odd. Comming straight out of HK is a portable Dreamcast unit. It looks kinda like a psone with the lcd screen attached to it. Here is some info from Lik Sang:

"The unit itself is a mutant Dreamcast machine with Sega made firmware inside (US games compatible), modified and with a specially designed shape. The top case of the DC machine is coming with a built-in LCD Screen. The LCD screen is backlit and comes with a brightness regulator on the side. There is also a volume regulator on the right side of the GD-Rom player. Speakers and headphone connector are also integrated in the monster.

There is also no logo whatsoever on the top of the system and the front logo is looking like the Dreamcast spiral, but with angles. The name on the LCD screen and on the back of the hardware is Treamacast"

Whole story here

Thanks to Suppafly for the info.

What do you think?

Well its news to me! I wish i could have one of those babies.... but i can only wish
sad.gif

I don't care if it's over $100, I'm getting it!

This is gonna be the best thing for road trips. :cheers

How much would this cost in US currency? This would be hella cool on road trips
smile.gif
. BTW, how big is the screen? Have a modem and everything the origional did? can u hook the dc up to the screen VGA style? or just regular?

There is unfortunately no way for Lik Sang to carry this product as it is infringing several Sega copyrights or patents. It is likely that this is one more weird product that will never be exported and will remain exclusively available in the Hong Kong shopping centers, with a retail price between HK$ 1200 and 1500. But still we thought it was cool enough to make a pause
wink.gif

1200 HKD ~ $154 USD

1500 HKD ~ $193 USD

I wouldn't bet that it's clone hardware (would be a bit too much work to be worth it), I'm guessing they made a case, wired up a headphone connector to the audio pins, and put a normal DC into it.

You can easily produce this same effect with the PSone lcd screen with a simple modification of a diff cable for the DC, I have the file somewhere for it, its just a diff RCA cord if memory serves me correct.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jun 16, 2003 @ 08:09 AM

You can easily produce this same effect with the PSone lcd screen with a simple modification of a diff cable for the DC, I have the file somewhere for it, its just a diff RCA cord if memory serves me correct.

You gotta find that file and tell me how to do it. A portable dreamcast is something that i really want!!!

It's super-easy. You just need a stereo-->RCA plug. It's a 1/8" stereo jack on one end and either 2 or 3 RCA jacks on the other. (if it has 2, you won't get stereo - 3 is stereo audio). Plug the 1/8" plug into the AV in on the back of the LCD then plug the RCA A/V from the DC into the RCA jacks on the adapter. That's it. No hacking required.

It works for anything with RCA AV outputs. In the last picture, I hooked up my DVD player to it.

Hopefully this info will help others. Anyone know if the third party PS LCDs have the AV input jack?

Brian

cable_stereo.jpg

cable.jpg

connection_on_back.jpg

dc_cd_player.jpg

dc_nfl2k2.jpg

lcd_phantom_menace_movie.jpg

For more pics and stuff of the sort visit Brian's *pipa* site at http://www.thebrokenjoystick.com

I know this might not be what your looking for about the power source to make it fully portable, I thought it was. Still very nice though.

This system is a really good deal if you think about it.

Assuming that it works right, that is.

What I mean is that you're paying for a lot of stuff that would cost much more than buying a new system (GC/Xbox/PS2) with everything that is included in this package.

First of all, you're getting the DC core unit, 2 controllers, an LCD screen, and rechargable battery.

If you were going to buy one of the 3 systems I mentioned with all that stuff, you'd be spending well over $200, the speculated price for this package. Again, assuming it's all new and in good working order.

If that's true, Arakon, then Lan-Kwei will definately be receiving $189 from me.
wink.gif

Hey, why is it $189 USD and $189 EUR? Doesn't that seem strange?

Back