Possibly useful for anyone doing a translation

http://d.the2d.com/feidian/

This has been the product of a few weeks work. It's for dumping tile based fonts and has a simple custome tile pattern format so you can add support for tiles that have an odd bit ordering.

The main useful feature is that it can dump from absolutely any tile width/height, which is handy sine most tile editing software only works with fonts based on widths of 8 (most all translation tools are geared to common NES/SNES formats). So stuff like 14x19 would be fair game for FEIDIAN.

It does both dumping and insertion of fonts (to and from bitplane<->bitmap), and it can also build a font of full-width tiles using a bitmap of half-width characters (like how CWX did the early Langrisser III font).

There's a bunch of sample dump strings for it that i posted from testing. Some of the games there's dump strings for are Saturn Dracula X, Gulliver Boy, Langrisser III, IV and V. It might be helpful to anyone looking to do a Saturn project.

If you get any use out of it, let me know. I'm already updating it to add support for longer tile definitions (64 bytes instead of a 26-byte limit) so if someone needed to completely define every bit of a 24x24 tile arrangement they'll have the space for it. If you have any other suggestions though, I'm open to them.

FEIDIAN only deals with monochrome graphics, I have no plans for adding 2bbp/4bpp support. There's already loads of editors that can handle stuff like that.

Back