Previously Undumped Game - Earth Defense

On a trip to my local Electronics Boutique I saw what appeared to be an unlicensed Genesis game called Earth Defense (at least that's what the box said). Curious (since unlicensed games tend to do weird things to the hardware), I bought it. It seems the game has two names (looks like the manual and the game itself was translated by a different person than the box and cart label art) and is also called The Earth Defend.

After dumping it I discovered that not only would Goodgen not recognize the ROM, the game doesn't show up in my Missing list either. So it would appear to be more than just a bad dump.

The game doesn't seem to work right in any of the emulators I tested (Kega Fusion, Kega Lazarus, Gens 2.11, Gens+, Ages, retrodrive). None of them even get all the way through the little intro animation that plays before the title screen. I started going through a disassembly to try and find the problem, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'd post a link, but I don't remember the exact ROM policy here (I know you can't ask for them, but I don't recall if posting links was a no-no). The game is made by Realtec, which I believe also made a cartridge copier, so I doubt they'll be tracking down any traffickers of this ROM, but I don't want to rock the boat regardless.

Horrible game. I didn't realize it had never been dumped. I guess it would be a good thing for completists, but otherwise, you're realeasing a plague upon the net.. anyway, you should make sure the emulator authors get a copy, as it may help improve compatibility.

Originally posted by it290+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290)</div><div class='quotemain'>Horrible game.[/b]

Probably why no one has bothered to dump it.

<!--QuoteBegin-it290

you should make sure the emulator authors get a copy, as it may help improve compatibility.[/quote]

I was planning on it. I posted this over at Eidolon's Tavern and Steve Snake still shows up there from time to time. If I figure out what weird thing this game is doing, I'll post it on Segadev. Not sure how many people actually read that anymore, but that's where most of that kind of discussion seems to take place.

Moving this to the Genny forum...

Yeah, don't post a link to it in here. This forum is readable to the general public. However, if any techies want to take a look and see what they can do with it, feel free to take that to PM.

"Not sure how many people actually read that anymore, but that's where most of that kind of discussion seems to take place."

Still many peoples are reading segadev group... I'm pretty sure of that...

I picked up Earth Defense at the 2004 Midwest Classic Gaming Expo in Madison, WI. I pretty much just picked it up because I thought it was uber-rare, since I've never seen a copy before, and there isn't even a ROM for it.

Back