Problems modding "This is Cool" Saturn

Hi, I've modded two model 2 Saturns in past without any issues. Now I tried to mod japanese "This is Cool" Skeleton Saturn, which by all means look like regular model 2, but it doesn't work... Disk doesn't even spin with mod chip installed.

The major difference I've noticed between generic model 2 Saturn and "This is Cool" Skeleton is the revision of the laser board: JVC F605 vs JVC F608. They look similar, but there are missing components on the new board (like big quartz).

I also tried to move a known good laser pcb and modchip from working modified model 2 US saturn into this Skeleton, and it didn't work at all. Even with laser PCB directly connected to mainboard, it doesn't spin the disk...

Anyone tried this before? Is there some way to mod Skeleton?

If not, I'll just move all the guts of well working US Saturn model 2 into the Skeleton case...

I had the same problem when trying to mod a white japanese Saturn quite some time ago.

When modding a Saturn with the JVC F608 CD board you've got to solder to the 32 pin IC. For some unknown reason the "A+B" method won't work.

Also, the two types of CD board (605 and 608) are not interchangable.

Originally posted by mal@Wed, 2005-07-27 @ 10:31 PM

I had the same problem when trying to mod a white japanese Saturn quite some time ago.

I didn't do the A+B trick, I soldered to pin 3 of the laser pcb chip, like in any model 2 mod... Doesn't work.

So, is it safe to assume that JVC F608 laser pcb means mod is not possible?

ermmm, it is pin 14...

unless your counting it backwards. But starting from where the small dot is in a corner is pin 1 then count 14 pins in counter clockwise.

saturn5.jpg

(heh, racket gets a lot of use out of my photobucket)

Ok, don't be afraid of my mad pa1nt0rz sk3331z :)

I soldered short wire from modchip to pin 3 from the front-right side like this:

29309462_d5b8cc0034.jpg

I can see that in your picture above the laser PCB is 608. Did the whole mod work? Is it japanese system? What modchip did you use?

I used modchip from Lik-Sang, before they turned 100% legit...

Originally posted by dhau+Fri, 2005-07-29 @ 03:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhau @ Fri, 2005-07-29 @ 03:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, is it safe to assume that JVC F608 laser pcb means mod is not possible?

[post=137437]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

No, that's not the case at all.

What I was saying is that you can't use the "A+B"method. I was able to mod the Saturn with the 608 CD board just fine by soldering to the 32 pin IC.

Perhaps the mod that you have is dead. Try swapping it for the mod that's in your US model 2 Saturn.

<!--QuoteBegin-dhau
@Fri, 2005-07-29 @ 07:11 AM

I can see that in your picture above the laser PCB is 608. Did the whole mod work? Is it japanese system? What modchip did you use?

[/quote]

Heh, that picture has been floating around the net for years. I guess it originally came from Lik-Sang - or whoever they ripped it off from. :lol:

I spent some time yesterday. Tried switching jumper from 014 to 018, replaced power wire with think copper wire, soldered in 100nf capacitor. Nothing really helps. Still same issue:

If I start Saturn with disk inside, it takes all CDs as audio. If I start it without CD inside. I can start any game (original and backup) by poping it in...

My modchip boards are from Lik-Sang, bought in 2001.

Originally posted by dhau@Fri, 2005-07-29 @ 09:33 AM

I spent some time yesterday. Tried switching jumper from 014 to 018, replaced power wire with think copper wire, soldered in 100nf capacitor. Nothing really helps. Still same issue:

If I start Saturn with disk inside, it takes all CDs as audio. If I start it without CD inside. I can start any game (original and backup) by poping it in...

My modchip boards are from Lik-Sang, bought in 2001.

[post=137520]Quoted post[/post]​

With some mod/cdblock combos, that's the best you can do.

*bump*

Any luck? I have a Skeleton Saturn which for the life of my I can't figure out why the mod won't work. I soldered directly to the 14th pin. Generally the cd drive doesn't spin, but I did get it to work once or twice. Not sure what's up. The mod chip is from segastyle.com.

I swapped the modchip out for another one and it worked. I got the modchip from segastyle.com.

Back