PS3 games can't be rented?

I know this isnt Wii Specific *barely Nintendo related* but all the sites I visit don't touch up on this. My friends tell me that PS3 games MUST BE BOUGHT. Caz, if you try to rent/borrow from a friend, the PS3 WILL NOT allow you to play it. Something about hte PS3 giving the game an instant code that will only allow the game to play on the first PS3 that powered it on.

So, again, I post this hear because this can be VERY GOOD NEWS for any Nintendo loyalist. This move by Sony (if true) will only hurt Sony as people will not want to buy something that they cannot play or try out. MS and Nintendo marketshare will soar while Sony is left wondering where they went wrong.

1. High Price of Hardware AND software
2. Lack of Exclusive games *its always about the games and never hardware. MS beats Sony in this arena with exclusives like TooHuman, GearsofWar and Halo3.
3. Now the inability to rent games.

Can you guys help me get to the bottom of this? I wanna know if this rumor is false or if my friends really did read something about this on IGN or whereever

For me it's not possible, it would mean somthing like the PS3 could burn a part of the Blu Ray disc with the ID of the console. It can't be true.

Yeah, I heard about this about a couple months ago. It's a crying shame, I rent a good number of games, and borrow games from my friends occasionally; for me, their policy is not good at all. That's one of the many reasons why I won't buy a PS3 for a long while. If they reconsider, that's fantastic.

PS3 has the capacity to implement a program such as this, ala Microsoft's activation program on Windows XP. Sony has publicly stated MANY TIMES, however, that they are not going to use this feature at this time. Look for it in PS4.

That said, the plan is that instead of renting games at the local Blockbuster, they will offer demos for FREE download or places like BBV will have the capacity to burn a limited-time version to disc for you (similar to the old DivX DVD format from a decade or so ago).

Additionaly, this type of program is not designed to hurt game rentals, but to alltogether stop ALL second-hand game sales. People like me, who buy most of their games from the $5 and $10 rack at the Used Game Swap Shop or during the 3-For-$25 sale at BBV, aren't helping to line the studio's pockets. By forcing all gamers to buy all their games new, they believe that they will sell more copies. IMHO, this may have the opposite effect, as gamers like myself will skip any system that tries a program like this in favor of a system like the Wii(volution), where I can not only buy my games second-hand (or previously rented), but I'll have access to an enormous library of low-cost games from generations past.

Zheræ said:
In my country rental of games is not legal at least I never see them for rent.
Same here there is no game reserved for rental, there was some at my "Enterprise Commity" and they had to stop and resell games to avoid problems.

Okay to let you know that this rumor has been floating for quite a while. As much as I would LOVE to see that happen to have Sony make that possible so that the PS3 fails, it is just a rumor.

Sony isn't stupid. Here is what'll happen. Rental games will universally work on all PS3's. When lending to friend's, you'll be able to play the game - just not be able to download onto your hard-drive. That's what the one time activation thing is. To download the game onto your hard-drive so you don't need the game to play it. Sony wouldn't throw away good rental money.

If Sony ever decide to go ahead with something like this in the future then they may have problems in Australia at least. To disallow second hand sale of anything would be in violation of the Trade Practices Act. According to Australian law when someone buys a physical product then they own it and should be able to resell it if they wish. The only exception would be rental and I doubt Sony would make all their software rental only.

Another possibility is for non-activated games to run in 480i only. Granted, for many people, that is the only option. Also, you could strip out any online features.

Back