Radeon 9800 Pro is causing crashes

Dud

Established Member
I'm trying to get my brothers computer working with a Radeon 9800 Pro. We're playing Battlefield 2 and on high settings, after 30 seconds of gameplay, the screen freezes, turns black and restarts the computer. Same thing happens on medium settings, only it takes about two minutes instead of 30 seconds before it happens. Here is his setup:

1.8 Ghz Pentium 4

some ASUS mobo (decent)

1 gig of RAM

and then the 256MB 9800 Pro (upgraded from a Rosewill Radeon 9600)

So far, I've tried the latest drivers from ATI and turned off Fast Write (I heard that might fix the problem but it didn't). I don't think it's a heat issue, there is plenty of room in the case for the fan on the card to work, and the computer is in a cold basement. Could it be a power issue? I didn't check, but the PSU in this thing can't be over 400 watts. I don't know.

Could be, that card draws a lot of juice. I trust you have the power header hooked up? Also, try reducing the AGP bus speed... if that helps it may be a motherboard chipset error. Switching to more conservative memory timings may help as well.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2005-06-29 @ 05:23 PM

Could be, that card draws a lot of juice. I trust you have the power header hooked up? Also, try reducing the AGP bus speed... if that helps it may be a motherboard chipset error. Switching to more conservative memory timings may help as well.

[post=135982]Quoted post[/post]​

Switching the AGP speed from 8x to 4x seemed to be the ticket. Thanks for that.

Cool. A BIOS upgrade or chipset driver upgrade may allow you to run at 8x w/more stability, but you won't really see any performance increase.

The buggering thing also doesn't do lighting effects properly. The areas that are supposed to be lit flicker, and in one game the characters glow red. I can't seem to find anything in the ATI setting tos adjust this either. Anyone have any ideas?

Try different driver revisions, although for BF2 the newest is probably the best. In which game do the characters glow?

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2005-06-30 @ 11:08 PM

In which game do the characters glow?

[post=136088]Quoted post[/post]​

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault I think it was

Back