Ready for Wii?

Cloud121

Established Member
Well, tomorrow's the big day. Wii launch. I'm really looking forward to it, as it's my first console launch, and I've been dreaming of being part of a console launch for fifteen years now.

Got everything paid off, and this is what I'm buying tomorrow:

Nintendo Wii

Zelda: Twilight Princess

ExciteTruck

Red Steel

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Madden NFL 2007

Call of Duty 3

Tony Hawk Downhill Jam

I wish I had enough for Trauma Center, but that will have to wait a couple weeks.

Anyone else picking one up at launch?

Might pick one up once the price comes down, but it's too expensive for too little hardware for me to justify the purchase right now. Maybe when the price gets down in the $150 range or less.

I am going to try and pick up a 360 in Amazon's crazy promotion tomorrow though. They're selling 1000 Xbox 360 Core systems for $100 each (ships to US only).

I had the price argument a while back on tendoweb. If you take historical launch prices, figure in inflation, the Wii has one of the cheapest console launch prices ever. Granted, that doesn't figure in the actual cost of the parts, but I'm just saying.

dibz said:
I had the price argument a while back on tendoweb. If you take historical launch prices, figure in inflation, the Wii has one of the cheapest console launch prices ever. Granted, that doesn't figure in the actual cost of the parts, but I'm just saying.

It may have the lowest launch price of a console ever, but that's only becuase it's using mostly last generation technology. It's a warmed over Gamecube with a fancy controller. In my mind that doesn't justify a 250% price increase over current Gamecube pricing.

To make things worse a 360 Core is only $50 more. Granted you need to cough up some more dough for either a memory card or a hard drive and neither are cheap right now, but it still contributes to the feeling that the Wii is a ripoff at $250.

I wouldn't say that at all. You're basing that just on parts alone, honestly, how many items sell anywhere near what they truly cost? Sony and MS have much more money and lose money on the hardware. Personally, even knowing it's the exact opposite for Nintendo, I strongly feel $250 is justified knowing that the money is going to what I consider the last "big" name in video games that still makes games for fun. I am well aware that the Big N makes money on the console unlike the other two, but I am also willing to support the company that is still willing to make fun and original games.

Back