Region free discs!

After I read on Segagagadomain that Virtua Racing (PAL European) worked on JAP Saturns (And it actually does :eek:mg: ) I tried a billion other PAL games and checked if other discs worked.

Well I found another 2.

*Saturn previews volume 1. Demo disc that came with Mean Machines. Had demos of Tomb raider, Keio 2, NHL powerplay, Loaded, Alien trilogy and Exhumed (Powerslave). Works without any trouble.

*Winter Heat Sampler. Unknown origin demo disc , I know that it came with Sega magazine (German magazine) and probably was given away by Sega in the U.K.

Boots without any trouble gives a special message at startup which says 'This game

was not yet converted to PAL territories and may run at another speed as those'

-something like that.

Someone should check: Athlete kings, Core Design sampler, Gremlin sampler, Psygnosis sampler, Courier crisis, Streetfighter collection, Sonic 3D, Virtua racing (US), Crimewave sampler, Victory boxing sampler, WWF wrestlemania sampler,

Bootleg sampler, Bug! demo (US), Panzer Dragoon demo (US), Sega saturn choice cuts (US).

I bet some could work :D

Nice find on the game but the demos shouldnt count though also the different frequencies ruin the feature-

Don't know this for fact as I don't have the game, but someone told me that Christmas NiGHTS worked on multiple regions as well.

Originally posted by SeGaFrEaK_NL@Sep 4, 2004 @ 07:25 AM

After I read on Segagagadomain that Virtua Racing (PAL European) worked on JAP Saturns (And it actually does :eek:mg: ) I tried a billion other PAL games and checked if other discs worked.

AFAIK all versions of Virtua Racing are region free. Euro and US are, but I can't be 100% about the Japanese version.

There are a couple of Euro games that I have that are multiregion but not region free. If my games list wasn't killed in my HD crash I'll check.

In fact, region free discs you talked about have the JTUBKAEL

country codes. Here is a little list of games & demos with all the codes:

- All the version of virtua racing (also the JAP)

- Tama JAP

- Preview Sega Saturn Vol. 1 EUR

- WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game Demo Version EUR

I need to go home to see if there are not any other ones.

For Christmas nights USA, it has UJT country code, so it could work on japanese hardware. There are some other games with multiregion codes.

For example,

with UJT:

- NBA Action 98 USA

- Virtua Cop 2 USA

with UTJ:

- Baku baku USA

- Decathlete USA

- Golden Axe The Duel USA

- Hang On GP USA

- NHL All-Star Hockey 98 USA

- Sega WorldWide Soccer '97 USA

- The Mansion of Hidden Souls USA

- Virtual ON USA

There are full lists, just samples.

Originally posted by Madroms@Sep 7, 2004 @ 02:33 PM

For Christmas nights USA, it has UJT country code, so it could work on japanese hardware.

It would be interesting to have this confirmed, as the developer docs are very specific about the order being "JTUE". (The other codes aren't used in production hardware.)

My DeathTank rips and all releases from SSMTF are also region free.

You can make any game region free : replace the IP.BIN with a region-free one (I don't remember where to get it), rebuild the iso and burn.

Indeed, thats a nice list. Anyone has an idea why these discs are region free/multiregion? Just a production error?

I'll try Tama tonight, Die hard and Lost world later.

I am back at home. So I can provide a more complete list (but maybe not complete at all 'cause I don't have all the games). I didn't test the games on the real hardware 'cause I don't have time to. They are just list of games with multi-region codes (all confirmed).

With JTUBKAEL:

Preview Sega Saturn Vol. 1 EUR

Tama ~Adventurous Ball in Giddy Labyrinth~ JAP

Virtua Racing EUR

Virtua Racing JAP

Virtua Racing USA

WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game Demo Version EUR

With UJT:

Christmas Nights Into Dreams Sampler USA

NBA Action 98 USA

Virtua Cop 2 USA

With UTJ:

Baku Baku USA

Decathlete USA

Golden Axe The Duel USA

Hang On GP USA

NHL All-Star Hockey 98 USA

Sega Worldwide Soccer '97 USA

The Mansion of Hidden Souls USA

Virtual-On - Cyber Troopers USA

With JUT:

Wing Arms USA

With JTUE:

Scud - The Disposable Assassin USA

Winter Heat Demo Disc EUR

With JU:

Race Drivin' JAP

Sega Saturn Choice Cuts Demo Disc USA

With UE:

Shanghai Triple Threat USA

I only list combinations of U E J letters when there are 2 or more of them.

For Die Hard Trilogy:

Die Hard Trilogy EUR ENG : Don't have it

Die Hard Trilogy EUR FR : EAL

Die Hard Trilogy EUR GER : Don't have it

Die Hard Trilogy JAP : Have it but sealed so I can't check

Die Hard Trilogy USA : TUK

For The Lost World Jurassic Park:

The Lost World Jurassic Park EUR : E

The Lost World Jurassic Park JAP : JT

The Lost World Jurassic Park USA : UT

Enjoy ;)

Originally posted by Djidjo@Wed, 2004-09-08 @ 01:25 AM

My DeathTank rips and all releases from SSMTF are also region free.

You can make any game region free : replace the IP.BIN with a region-free one (I don't remember where to get it), rebuild the iso and burn.

[post=118136]Quoted post[/post]​

Won't this mess up some games, though? Doesn't that file contain more than just region flags? What about games that don't have an IP.BIN file?

Originally posted by computolio@Mon, 2005-07-04 @ 10:01 PM

Won't this mess up some games, though? Doesn't that file contain more than just region flags? What about games that don't have an IP.BIN file?

[post=136281]Quoted post[/post]​

All games have an ip.bin file, but you can't see it whenyou list the files on the CDROM. It's hidden at the beginning of the CD.

The Duck Truemotion devdisc is also multiregion, but I guess it doesn't count cause its a devdisc.

Won't this mess up some games, though?
Probably.

Doesn't that file contain more than just region flags?
Yes. Most importantly, it contains the "Application Initial Program", which is the first-stage bootloader for the game. The standard AIP behavior is basically to load the first file in the filesystem to 0x06004000 and jump to it. I don't clearly recall any games that do things differently, but they are probably out there...

All games have an ip.bin file, but you can't see it whenyou list the files on the CDROM. It's hidden at the beginning of the CD.
Put another way, it is not actually a file. ;)

Back