Region Switch mod failed. Can anyone help me think what's wrong?

I want to start out by saying that I successfully modded a 21 pin Saturn 2 years ago to play CD-R games and to have a region switch because my 4-in-1 cart and mod chip conflicted with one another. So, I have an idea what I am doing.

Now, my problem is this: I got a 20 pin Saturn from my buddy who didn't want it anymore. Recently I found that a 21 pin mod chip could be modded to work in a 20 pin Saturn, so I decided to work on my 20 pin Saturn so I would have a backup. I did the region mod first because it required taking the entire system apart. When I put it back together and tested it, I got a very strange result. I set the switch to US and a US game plays. Switch to Japan and the US game doesn't play. Insert a Japanese game in Japan mode, the game will not play. Japanese game in US mode, game will not play. So basically, I have a region switch that turns off the Saturn's ability to play any game... I checked my connections, checked the current on an ohm meter and it all points to the fact that I have done the mod right, however, it won't work and I am baffled as to why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Most likely, you have somehow created a switch between US and some other region. There are 8 possible region codes on Saturn, even though only 4 were really used. How did you go about checking the mod?

Well, before doing anything I checked the jumpers with an ohm meter, but then remembered that they make a connection through the various chips, etc that they connect through after the jumpers. So I tried my best to remove the microscopic connections between the jumpers (on my 21 pin Saturn they were actual 1000ohm resistors, but on this 20 pin, they were very fine wires...) and then soldered on two wires, one to each common point for the jumpers. I then soldered one wire to the +5v on the +5v pin of the motherboard and one to one of the 2 ground pins. I ran the +5v and ground to the center points of the switch and connected the jumper wires to one pole. I then soldered short wire jumpers from that pole to the other pole, crossing them, just as I did 2 years ago on my 21 pin Saturn. The common points that I soldered to were jumpers 6 & 7 and 10 & 11. I'm gonna pull it apart again to make sure, but I am pretty sure that I did it right.... I'll also post pics when I pull it apart.

Any idea why they didn't use the 1k ohm resistors on this particular model? Just curious...

Back