report this guy to ebay?

I don't know how much profit is going on. He's only charging 2$. But that's about 1.50 profit. He's sold at least a dozen of these already, so he's making a whopping 20$ for the effort of having to go individually mail all these things out...

I can't figure out what his point is, unless this is just a first step towards other goals.

Even if they were free, I assume he's distributing emulators he downloaded off the internet withotu permission. That's probably a violation of copywrite law. I don't know the terms of license of all the emulators though.

The emulation community used to regard this as one of the most reprehensible and degrading practices. I don't know if it's as prevalent as it was back then, but it certainly is as offensive. Report him!

No its still hated just as much today. I know coders and gamers alike in my local area who still beat the crap out of guys who try to sell bootleg movies and games. If they see that "guy with the hook up" at school or at the bar who sells bootlegs; they go ape shit and kick some ass. Im not so aggressive, I just go to the kids they are selling to and tell them how they can do it on there own for free. I figure it is better if they do it free then pay, because they are going to rip off the system either way.

i was going to sell bootleg dvds but for the cost of a dvd and maybe a dollar service charge.so prob at most 5 dollars but at that time dvds were more expensive than what they are now(they still are but now you get rebates and crap and they come out cheep). so i dont think selling dvd bootlegs is that bad but to sell anything that is on a cd is, since cds only cost like 10 cents anymore per blank cd. note i never did sell any never really tried and now i dont give a fuck about making a dollar profit(also when i was going to i spent a lot of my money on alcohol and stuff so that's why i was looking even for the smallest amount of profit).

and to justify myself more at the time not a lot of people had dvd burners so it wasn't as common as it is now to have one.

There's a grey area with DVD's (and VHS's). Something that's not available officialy, I'm fine with. The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is one that comes to mind. Star Wars: The Not Fucked Up Editions is another one.

I personally don't have a problem with people selling MAME roms, etc., as long as they aren't charging exorbitant prices. At the price he's selling for, he's barely covering his media and shipping expenses, not to mention time. A lot of people don't have the time or bandwidth to download a complete MAME set. I think it's ok as long as they aren't packaging the emulator along with it. You can, of course, argue the morality of distributing ROMs in the first place, but I doubt many people here can honestly say they don't have a single illegal ROM on their computer.

Please, no more posts about people selling emulators and/or ROMs.

Report them to eBay if you want, but don't post links here.

Originally posted by mal@Wed, 2005-01-19 @ 08:57 PM

Please, no more posts about people selling emulators and/or ROMs.

Report them to eBay if you want, but don't post links here.

[post=128080]Quoted post[/post]​

Pooper.

I figured if more people than just me report him, then the chances of e-bay actually doing something will increase.

Why don't you just start one of those eternal threads, like the Photochop or Cool E-bay auctions threads, where you can just keep on adding new auctions/things you want people to report as illegal/fraudulant.

Just a thought.

I'm sure that not all of the people that come to SX share your view that selling emulators and ROMs is a bad thing.

By listing such auctions you're just as likely to be giving them free advertising as you are to get them closed down.

Back