Resident Evil 4 hits PS2 in time for Halloween

Capcom today set a release date for the PlayStation 2 version of the previously-exclusive Resident Evil 4. Previously announced with a release date of simply "late 2005," the latest in Capcom's long-running survival horror franchise will begin shambling onto Sony's console October 25 with a suggested retail price of $39.99.

According to a Capcom rep, a limited edition version of the PlayStation 2 game is also planned, although specifics like box art, final price, bonus features, and even a definite release date have not been finalized just yet.

From Gamespot

What in the hell is this doing here at SX?

Have you seen the box art? The most horrible thing I've ever seen in my life. It's truly terrible.

I do plan on picking it up though.

What's so bad about the box art? It doesn't look great, true, but it's no worse than the US Gamecube version. Now the Euro version had some nice box art.

The Euro boxart is okay at best. I liked it a lot at first, but comparing it to the USA art, I ;ike the USA and JPN art better.

I'm getting the Euro version in a month, so if I compare them side by side in my hands I can probably draw a better comparison.

I still think the PS2 RE4 is one of the worst box arts I've ever seen.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Thu, 2005-08-04 @ 05:40 PM

What in the hell is this doing here at SX?

[post=137898]Quoted post[/post]​

I ask myself that a lot when entering this section of the boards.

I know people that have been waiting all year for this version of the game. :huh :looney This port is going to be horrible. People need to put their petty console rivalry aside, spend the $100 and get a Gamecube and play the game the way it was meant to be played.

I agree, from the screenshots it doesn't look very good. Not terrible, but it looks like things break up/pixellate at a distance, and that's not good with all the distance shooting required in RE4.

It seems as though Capcom just doesn't give a crap about the GameCube version.

Why is the PS2 version getting an Official Collector's Edition from Capcom, whereas the GameCube Collector's Edition was unofficial from GameStop? What's the deal?

Because they now Sony fan boys will buy it. Same reason Madden had a collectors edition for the PS2. Sony players will spend $60-70 for a game. Of course, they should get use to it, with rumors of game prices going up 5-10 dollars for the next gen.

What about the 48,000 who bought the GameStop Collector's Edition of RE4 (myself included)?

I'm only bothered by this because it seems as though Capcom been planning this whole time to screw over the GameCube version.

Again, I do plan on getting the PS2 version, I'm just still a bit bothered by Capcom going back on it's word, and at the same time putting everything in the PS2 version.

It seems as though they have no faith in the GameCube version.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-08-05 @ 03:38 PM

It seems as though Capcom just doesn't give a crap about the GameCube version.

Why is the PS2 version getting an Official Collector's Edition from Capcom, whereas the GameCube Collector's Edition was unofficial from GameStop? What's the deal?

[post=137934]Quoted post[/post]​

Australia Got a Official Collector's Edition

I agree Gamecube should have gotten a real collectors edition. I got the GameStop one, but everything that came with it was garbage, I threw it all out and just kept the game. Really, when you think about it all collectors editions suck except maybe the Doom 3 for Xbox CE. All they've really done is shown publishers that they can get away with selling games for $55-60 come time for the next generation of consoles.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-08-05 @ 09:30 PM

You know you could've given me the cell. :D

You still got the tin, or did you get rid of it? :unsure:

[post=137974]Quoted post[/post]​

No I threw all of it out months ago, unfortunately. :smash

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-08-05 @ 11:44 PM

Why'd you buy it in the first place anyway?

[post=137980]Quoted post[/post]​

For some reason I thought it would be really nice, with a metal case like the Halo 2 Collectors Edition, not just the game in a tin with other crap in it.

I'm wondering what will the ps2 port be like since the Gamecube version had some of the finest graphics i've seen of all three of the current generation consoles

I like to mock the ps2 owners who discuss this game. "Isn't that the game several hundred thousand people finished on the GameCube several months ago with progressive scan and anti-aliasing?" It was also fun to mock them for MGS2:S where the XBox got that a few months early. Of course they got that absolutely wonderful skateboarding game as a reward. Probably will pick it up anyway.

The PS2 version of Substance is better than the 'Box version.

The Xbox version has tons of slowdown outside the Tanker (Where it's raining), and other framerate issues. It's a minor thing, but the thermal goggles are a bit messed up in the Xbox version as well.

Back