Revolution to go wireless!?

Nintendo announced today it has chosen Broadcom Corporation as the networking contributor for its next console (codenamed "Revolution"), confirming the wireless capabilities of the next-generation system. Revolution will feature an advanced wireless platform that integrates multiple technologies to enable a new and exciting gaming experience.

"The depth and breadth of Broadcom's wireless expertise will enable Nintendo to deliver the industry's most innovative gaming solutions," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director, General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division for Nintendo. "By integrating Broadcom wireless solutions into our next-generation systems, we can provide the high performance gaming and connectivity capabilities that will delight users of 'Revolution'."

No Revolution at E3?

According to recent reports from Japan, Nintendo has decided not to show off Revolution at this year's E3. The decision would come from Nintendo President, Satoru Iwata, who is feared competitors could steal the "revolutionary" ideas Nintendo has developed for the new console.

"What we need is not a next-generation machine but a next-generation way of playing games," Iwata has said when explaining that Revolution won't be merely a more powerful version of its current GameCube machine. "We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis."

The rumors say Nintendo will show off in-game footage but won't reveal the console features or the so much hyped controller. The new Zelda, Mario 128 and a new Game Boy Advance are supposed to be Nintendo's cards for next month's E3.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8074/Revolut...No-Show-for-E3/

They talked about networking capabilities at this years GDC... so yeah, i'm totally psyched about the Revolution.
I'm pretty confident that the only reason Nintendo has stayed out of the internet ring thus far is because they feel they can outdo their competitors by offering this service for free... which i think they will succeed in this :)

Well, I'm hoping they actually come through with Mario 128 this time. If the revolution launches before the competitors with Mario 128 and a new Zelda as launch titles, and at a price that Sony and Microsoft would loose money on (even only slightly) if they launched at the same price (perhaps due to expensive hardware engineering costs), then I imagine the revolution could finally grab a respectable portion of the market.

Heres hoping B)

It won't happen. Besides, I don't think Nintendo is really out there to beat their competitors anymore. As a matter of fact, it would seem as though they're trying to be so inovative as to put themselves in a category of their own... yet, one that sells enough to keep them alive :)

Why try to corner the apple market when you can easily invent your own fruit and monopolize on that?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that they're relying on the big game launches this year to hold them over til the new Gameboy comes out along with the Revolution.

Back