Roger Hector - Director - Sega Technical Institute

Hay guys, have been on a quest to find out more stuff about Sonic Xtreme, and look what I have dug up. The director of Sega Technical Institute, the ones who created Sonic Spinball, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and the finaly canned Sonic xtreme.

Heres my email.

Dear Mr Hector

First of all, may I appologise for this email being unrelated to your photography bussiness, which may I add, is very impressive. Also, may I appologise incase I have infact got the wrong person, which is quite possible, as it is becomming ever harder to hunt down people these days!

Here's the main question.

Are you, or are you not the same Mr Hector that was once the director of the unforunate devision of Sega, Sega Technical Institute?

If not, please disregard this email, and I appologise for wasting your valued time.

If you are...

Would it be possible to ask you a few questions about your time there? as I work for a Sonic the Hedgehog fansite, and I happen to know that STi worked with Sonic team on quite a few games, including the canned Sonic Xtreme. I would ask the message board of the site to submit some questions and I would put in a few of my own, if you agree to this interview.

Thankyou highly for your precious time

****** ********* (real name)

aka HXC of Shadow of a Hedgehog (http://www.planetdreamcast.com/sonic/)

He then replied:

Even though you may have found me through my Automotive Art website, I am the same Roger Hector that used to run STI from 1993 - 1996, and I know quite a lot about Sonic and the people that developed him (I used to be regarded as "Sonic's Boss").

Today I am involved with several businesses, including games, but my website only makes reference to my being an artist (I've been one all my life). Even though I paint many different types of subjects, this website only deals with my popular automotive paintings.

If you'd like to ask any Sega questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Roger

So, any idea what I could ask him? I got a few obvious things already, but I would enjoy some ideas from people.

Cheers.

god, I dunno. I am not familier w/ the canned project enuf. Any further details on that?

PS, oh and you MUST post the interview here, haha.

eeeeeeey

::shakes with glee like a little girl::

and I always wondered why everyone in the office thinks I'm a homosexual retard with a spastic colon!

::shakes a little more::

Ask him if he thinks its for the better that "Sonic Xtreme" never came out.

In a way I think it's a good thing it didn't come out, with the low quality of 3D at the time I think the game just wouldn't have the Sonic feel to it; the speed, the smooth gameplay.

Congrats on getting the interview, that is awesome :cheers

I'd be interested to know how far along Sonic Xtreme was into development and if it ever reached playable form. I'd also ask him what if he knew of any other scrapped projects and how they were coming along plus their cancelation reasons.

I would also like to know how the different Sega teams communicated and what the overall feel of working for the company was throughout his years there.

If you could get any of these questions in there that would be great. I look forward to seeing the final interview :)

Back