ROM carts

Runik

Staff member
After doing some research regarding extension carts for the saturn, I came across games that use a ROM cart.

AFAIK there're only 2 games using this kind of device : The King of Fighters ’95 and Ultraman.

So my question is : is there any dump of those 2 carts available ? I would like to see what's inside, and if I'm able to fit it in the emulation process :p

Thanks for your help :D

I'm not sure, but IIRC there was also some Japanese game that was just a cartridge (no disc). That one may be dumped..

huh? Cart only Saturn game?

all my Saturn collecting years I've never heard such thing - coz that doesn't mean this doesn't exist.

any more information on this cart only game? o_O

cheers

No, but if you search the board you might be able to find it. I'm pretty sure I heard about it here. ;)

Likely search terms: 'KOF95', 'cartridge', 'boot'

I think it was supposed to have been a mahjong game or something simple like that.

KoF95 and Ultraman have some of background data on the ROM carts to speed up loading time from what I heard and that's why these two games won't work without the ROM cart since they contain part of game data...

seriously never heard cart only game...

hmm...

They may not be cartridge-only-games,

but sure are cartridge-only-apps:

Every usual Action Replay cart and those region converter carts can be seen as that.

But that doesn't help on the ROM cart dump :D ,

(although the dump of above carts is available for reflashing)

Originally posted by dj898@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 10:25 AM

KoF95 and Ultraman have some of background data on the ROM carts to speed up loading time from what I heard and that's why these two games won't work without the ROM cart since they contain part of game data...

Looking at the contents of the KoF'95 CD I would say all graphics except some front-end related ones are stored on the cartridge.

Back