ROS's Tomb Raider Contest Entry Discussion

Per @EmeraldNova request, moving the Tomb Raider entry discussion into it's own thread. As a friendly reminder please keep the Contest Entry thread restricted to entries and judges only. This will make it easier for the judges to go through. - Slinga

"Well, you have my total attention now. I'm not quite sure if I've got yours, though. Hello?"

Attachments

• TR.PNG
    TR.PNG
    174.6 KB · Views: 54
  • TR_SX_DEMO.RAR
    73.9 MB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
"Well, you have my total attention now. I'm not quite sure if I've got yours, though. Hello?"
ROS,

There are a few problems with your entry that need addressed. Having spoken to the judges, the majority agree that without proper explanation and/or adjustments, your entry will have to be disqualified.

1) Is this original work or a patch of existing work? The file structure and nature of the entry imply a patch, but it must be clarified and stated.

2) There appears to be a readme attributing pieces of the work to a number of people. We need to know explicitly what work you yourself have done this year.

3) The disc appears to be primarily an as-of-yet undumped image of a demo not widely available to anyone. This is an issue for two reasons, first Sega Xtreme CANNOT host files of copyrighted work. You must give instructions for people to patch their own images. Second, if this is from a demo disc that was not publicly dumped, how will anyone else patch their images to use this work legitimately?

4) It is not entirely clear what is in this game that is different from the original. Again, an expansion of your work here is required.

Please respond with answers to these questions as soon as possible.

Sil-a-nce?

Meaningless Words?

What attitude?

"Bloody Lara" refering to modification, "Predicament" as in questioning what I've gotten myself into, full statement jokingly refering to the game. My original comment "Hello" also a quote from Lady Croft.
Are you british?

Sil-a-nce?

Meaningless Words?

What attitude?

"Bloody Lara" refering to modification, "Predicament" as in questioning what I've gotten myself into, full statement jokingly refering to the game. My original comment "Hello" also a quote from Lady Croft.
I think people just want to know what you did. If you can give a proper description of your work, it will likely be allowed. Cryptic quotes from Tomb Raider do not describe what your project is.

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
Sil-a-nce?

Meaningless Words?

What attitude?

As stated before, your entry is disqualified until you can sufficiently answer the questions I asked.

TrekkiesUnite118

Established Member
Yeah, look at the info other people have given for their work in previous entries and contests if you need examples. But as it stands we have no idea if this is a modification of the original Tomb Raider release, a specific beta release, a port of Open Lara, etc. If it is a Mod we don't know what exactly was changed and how. Also we're not sure if it's a collection of other peoples mods combined into one or if it's a mix of your own work as well.

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
It appears I got this DM:

This is a custom built disc image containing experimental rendering modifications, bug fixes, restored content, and customizations executed by yours truly with exception to those accredited (Esppiral: No Black Bar & paul_met: Image/FMV Centering).
It includes concept art, promotional video, and a reimagined box art by Brenoch used for loading screen.
Is there any issue with hosting the file externally and attaching a link?

Not sure why this wasn't public for the judges to see. If this is the case, you will need to make a patch with instructions, including which original disc image to use. People need to be able to play this game by patching it themselves without a shady google drive link. I believe Knight's patcher should be good for this if you can tell us what the original image was. You say it's custom built, but it's clearly modified from some original disc source. Unless you somehow rebuilt Tomb Raider with source code?

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
It appears you would rather sticky everything to the front page than converse with someone directly about required questions you've asked for a contest you're hosting.
Yes of course, all judges need to be able to see what is going on transparently. Your attitude has not been helping things.

Again, we need to know the original image that you modified to build a patch so that your entry can be valid.

Knight0fDragon

Patron Supporter
Please refrain from making this difficult. All the judges need are the following questions answered:

1) Does this belong in homebrew, or hacks/translations?
2a) If it is homebrew, describe what it does, and why it qualifies?
2b) If it is hacks/translations, describe the original source required, what was modified to be judged, and what is the process needed to actually patch it?

If it is homebrew, is there a way to distribute in such a way that is not distributing copyrighted information?

If it is a patch, do you need help in creating a patch in such a way to remain eligible?

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
Mods, it seems this is going nowhere. Please clean up the thread and wipe the non-entry posts. ROS's submission has been disqualified. If you keep his post up for posterity, please ad a note labeling it such for the judges.