Sammy acquire Sega shares

At least it's not MS either. ;)

It's not like Sammy's taking over Sega. They just own shares in the company, sheesh.

No big shift or anything here folks, just a few extra stocks owned. As long as Sega doesn't go exclusively to patchinko games or anything I'm sure business will continue as usual.Sad how 22.4% is the majority though... maybe if we pooled all of our resources SX could have majority stakes in Sega stock? :D

---Ammut

Sammy Speaks

What buying Sega means.

(stolen from IGN)

December 08, 2003 - Earlier today, Sammy Studios announced that they will buy 22.4% of Sega's stock for $419 million to become the largest shareholder in the company. We got a chance to talk to John Rowe, President and Chief Operating Officer of Sammy Studios, for a few minutes to find out why.

What is the big reason for becoming a majority shareholder in Sega for Sammy Studios?

From a valuation standpoint, we think it's a very attractive investment. After 2001, Sega has done a very good job of reorganizing its business and is profitable. With stock in Sega, Sammy Studios will be highly profitable and generate a lot of cash flow. Keep in mind that this is more of an investment than a merger. We also like Sega because it's one of the most recognizable names in the world. Coupled with great franchises and IPs, they will emerge as one of the great companies in this industry once again.

Do you have plans for a bigger stake in Sega?

Looking at all the options we wouldn't rule it out. We don't have any specific plans today, but it's one of the things that would be possible in the future.

Are there any plans to bring characters from different companies together?

How Sega and Sammy might leverage this investment to work together in various ways will be discussed over the next 60-90 days in both the higher and lower levels. We want to combine the strengths of both companies. We don't know what those are today and we can't define it. Until this day we haven't had an opportunity to sit down, get under the surface, and see how the companies may best integrate their strengths. I am looking forward to working synergistically so that we can be positioned well to leverage our creative expertise. I like that word, "synergistically."

Synergistically? It's fun to say.

It is fun to say and even though it's cliché and used to death it's still a good word. Like "juggernaut." Is there a way to work the word "juggernaut" into this interview?

I'll see what I can do. Is there anything else you'd like to say about your current plans?

My message is clear: stay focused on what we've been doing two years ago. We're just focused on trying to make good product and everything else will come from that. If we fail to make good games then we can have the best brand and the best marketing and the best advertising, but we will not succeed. Right now, there is no master plan, it's going to evolve.

why?

IMO anything but EA

i can think of 2 things when i hear the word sammy.

1. that hot chic from high school

2. the worst games ive ever played - saave for the color dreams/joy van/wisdom tree games from the nes era

which one actualy aplies to this thread? [sarcasm]dont make me add sarcasm tags around that[/sarcasm]

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Dec 9, 2003 @ 12:54 AM

Not sure if this is good news or bad news, they better not screw the company up.

To be fair, what's to screw up? Apart from Super Monkey Ball, Sega's done very little to excite me personally in the last couple of years unfortunately.. Mostly just DC ports and average updates of old IP (VF4 and PDO excluded).

I'll just put my flame retardant suit on ;)

Originally posted by Myname+Dec 9, 2003 @ 12:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ Dec 9, 2003 @ 12:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-axelblazeadam@Dec 9, 2003 @ 12:54 AM

Not sure if this is good news or bad news, they better not screw the company up.

To be fair, what's to screw up? Apart from Super Monkey Ball, Sega's done very little to excite me personally in the last couple of years unfortunately.. Mostly just DC ports and average updates of old IP (VF4 and PDO excluded).

I'll just put my flame retardant suit on ;) [/b][/quote]

to be honest, I kinda have to back you up on this

their arcade stuff still rocks though

SPOnG makes some more observations

They make some good points. This could be a mixed good-bad thing.

It's good because Sega would be more likely to make money and stay healthy.

Although their risk taking (which has generated some great games) may diminish.

However, they mentioned they believe in using past intellectual property which may lead to remakes of classic games (** hope hope **) and continuations of series' (new Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Nights!!!)

However, they mentioned they believe in using past intellectual property which may lead to remakes of classic games (** hope hope **) and continuations of series' (new Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Nights!!!)

The new shining force game is going to be called shining tears. There's a little blurb about it in one of my game magazines, I'll see if I can find it. At the moment, I can't even remember what system it's going to be for.

If you google Shining Tears theres a few foreign articles about it, apparently it is going to be for the PS2. Doesn't really seem to be anything in English on it though...

From Gamefront.de

Sammy will nach Sega-Einstieg Arcade-Geschäft ausbauen

10.12.03 - Sammy plant nach einer Meldung der Nachrichtenagentur Bloomberg das Spielhallen-Geschäft in den Übersee-Märkten auszubauen, nachdem man bei Sega der größte Aktionär geworden ist.

Sammy-Präsident Hajime Satomi sieht im Spielhallen-Markt mehr Profit als in der Software-Entwicklung für Heimkonsolen. Er legt Sega nahe, ebenfalls das Arcade-Geschäft auszubauen und die Spiele-Produktion für Konsolen zu reduzieren.

Satomi will vor allem Entwicklungen für das hauseigene Atomiswave-Board anregen, für das sich preisgünstig Spiele herstellen lassen.

Sammy wants to remove Arcade business after Sega entrance 10.12.03 - Sammy plans to remove the game hall business in the overseas markets after a message of the press agency Bloomberg, after it became Sega's largest shareholder. Sammy president Hajime Satomi sees in the play hall market more profit than in the software development for home consoles. It puts Sega close to likewise remove the Arcade business and to reduce game production for consoles. Satomi wants to energize above all developments for the internal Atomiswave board, for which low-priced games can be manufactured.

Sammy wants Sega to concentrate on Arcades.

EDIT:

Another report

You did read this didn't you?

One of the potential benefits from the acquisition of Sega shares, Satomi said, will be in sales of Sammy's "Atomiswave" game machines for arcade use. Sammy plans to use Sega's library titles and branding strength to help the fledgling machines.

Sammy started selling the arcade machines in April and Satomi said the game development costs are significantly less than for existing machines. Atomiswave also allows arcade operators to change unpopular games by switching cartridges.

They want to produce more arcade games.

If anything it may also lead to more DC ports as the Atomiswave is basically the same as the Naomi board.

Back