saturday morning cartoons suck now...

Shitface

Established Member
I watch my deal of cartoons. But fox and wb have the worst lineup ever. They show such stupid shows like Pirate islands with the dumbest plot ever, and shows like cramp twins, who comes up with these. Also, fox and wb look for the worst animes they can find to show. I watch ninja turtles still but it doesn't quite do them justice because there are almost no original badguys. I guess i'll just have to stick to ultra edited anime on cartoon network. I do like cartoon networks shows though. Just thought i would get that off my chest. Thats my opinion, what about you?

I'm digging the new Ninja Turtles show. Longer storylines and darker plots, much more inline with the original comics. And with the way the toys've been selling to young kids as well as adult collectors, maybe they'll realize that kids are intelligent and the wave of over-simplified crap needs to end.

But most new american-developed animation is crap. And most of the animé they're bringing over now is crap too. Ever since South Park and Pokémon went huge, everything is modeled after them. Even the new Transformers shows have been a huge disappointment.

I want my own network. I'd spend all day Saturday showing stuff like Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Armitage III (the series, not the shit movie), AD Police, Now & Then - Here & There, and Record of Lodoss War. Nothing like "Today, on Cartoon Network, six hours of HAMTARO! And if you haven't smashed your brains out with a sledge hammer by the end of that, we'll follow it up with a marathon of badly rewritten and censored so there is no longer any followable plotline Dragonball Z. Well, it'll actualy be GT, but since Z is what got popular, we're gonna say it is Z so you mindless morons won't know the difference. We'll even advertise it as 'all new' episodes despite the fact that they were really made back in the early 1980's and have been out on video and DVD for years now."

I was never a big fan of the Dragon Ball series. Too much talking, not enough fighting and other stuff. And when there is fighting and other stuff it happens too quickly.

Anyways, about Saturday morning cartoons, what's with all the anime? Are there no more good American made cartoons? What ever happened to cartoons like The Tick? Now that was some quality US cartoonage. Does anybody remember Sam & Max? That was short-lived, but I bet they could've come up with some better plots if they had more than the less than 10 episodes (maybe I'm kidding myself and it would've sucked anyways). Well I think it's too bad that there's too much crappy anime on Saturday mornings.

Now don't go bangin' Hamtaro. Trust me, you don't want to get this hamstar mad. I hear he punks like you for breakfast.
tongue.gif

But all of this bad anime like Yugioh, hamtaro, episodes of dbz that are older than my parents
laugh.gif
, it's sad to see what this generation of kids are being exposed to on Sat. mornings. Now if they grew up with stuff that most of us watched like GIJoe, TMNT, (original) Transformers and many others, I wouldn't be concerned. I just hope most of those kids have older siblings that can tell them about the "good ol' days" of crude plotline US Sat. morning cartoons. (nothing against anime, sailor moon *shudder*)

I feel bad for the kids of today. All they have is cheaply-animated trash to wake up to. None of the classics are on anymore and that's a shame.
sad.gif

I knew the end of an era was near when Rocko, of all things, was cancelled.

Originally posted by Supergrom@May 25, 2003 @ 12:22 AM

btw, anyone remeber the name of the show with the 3 dinosaurs that used bee cannons and fought the other dinosaurs in EEK! style animation? I remember that one being pretty entertaining, but cant for the life of me remember the name of it.

terrible thunder lizards?

Originally posted by SegaFreak@May 25, 2003 @ 12:47 AM

Anyways, about Saturday morning cartoons, what's with all the anime? Are there no more good American made cartoons? What ever happened to cartoons like The Tick? Now that was some quality US cartoonage. Does anybody remember Sam & Max? That was short-lived, but I bet they could've come up with some better plots if they had more than the less than 10 episodes (maybe I'm kidding myself and it would've sucked anyways). Well I think it's too bad that there's too much crappy anime on Saturday mornings.

The Tick was British but they may have sold the rights to fox or some other studio for the animation version, The Tick was really funny it started as a brit comic book. What about Ren & Stimpy I loved that show
laugh.gif
He - Man, Thundercats, Transformers, TMNT, ..... whats up with al the remakes? At least we got to see the originals. Cartoon Network has good cartoons and original ones like Jonhy bravo, Dexter´s Laboratory and a few more.

I never got thundercats. That show just depresses me because everytime i watch it i get the feeling that the writers and/or animators just got done playing a low-stakes game of dungeons and dragons.

The later episodes of ThunderCats got rather intense. Much darker than anything else on kid's programming at the time.

The big 80's revival... See, those of us who grew up with this stuff are now the ones running animation studios, on the exec boards of toy companies, and running comic book companies. *WE* know that what we saw growing up was better than what's getting created today, and *WE* know that other people in their mid 20's to mid 30's will spend money to relive our youth. So license deals get worked out and suddenly the new VOLTRON series is on shelves everwhere, selling like mad to those of us who suffer some form of Peter Pan's syndrome. (Hey, I admit it.)

The biggest thing to light the fire was the new GI Joe comic series. A rather unfortunate state of timing had the first issue hitting shelves on September 12, 2001. The day after the twin towers fell and the Pentagon was attacked. The world was crying for "A Real American Hero" and the book just happened to hit the stands at the right time, selling out minutes after stores opened. (The movie "The Seige" and the Die Hard flicks also became a hot renters at the Blockbuster Video I was working for at the time.) Hot for another success like that, Hasbro finaly made a licensing deal with Dreamwave for Transformers, which became the best selling comic series in about ten years. Then Devil's Due got Micronauts to add to GI Joe, and teamed up with Dreamwave to produce Voltron. Wildstorm got Robotech (the US version) and Thundercats. MotU went to MV Creations, who is also starting work on comics based on Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. Now I'm just waiting for someone to get the rights to Go-Bots and Rocklords.
tongue.gif

terrible thunder lizards? -- i thought you were talking about dinosausers

this is funny -- i was just having this same conversation over the weekend

Originally posted by SegaSquad@May 24, 2003 @ 03:38 PM

I watch my deal of cartoons. But fox and wb have the worst lineup ever. They show such stupid shows like Pirate islands with the dumbest plot ever, and shows like cramp twins, who comes up with these. Also, fox and wb look for the worst animes they can find to show. I watch ninja turtles still but it doesn't quite do them justice because there are almost no original badguys. I guess i'll just have to stick to ultra edited anime on cartoon network. I do like cartoon networks shows though. Just thought i would get that off my chest. Thats my opinion, what about you?

You found this out just now?!?? Geez! Where have you been!!!

I switched to Anime after all the "americanism" crapola of shows. Truly pathetic.

I knew of this long ago. Just felt like typing it out now. But that was one of the first times i sat through the whole lineup and realized what pure garbage is on. Besides, sometimes the message board can be a little slow, so i try to make topics for people to express there opinions on.

Back