Saturn Console Reliability

SegaTecToy

Hi,

I'm new at this forum and I'm from Brazil. :cheers

I will start a collection of Saturn Games and I need to know some things.: Is the Saturn Console a reliable hardware? I know that the playstation is fragile as glass but I never heard such complaints about the saturn.

I wonder how many years it works without problems. Today almost all Saturns are second hand and there are none emulators 100% acurate so we must resort to the consoles themselves. (of course the real thing is always better :))

I'm thinking about burning my original games to CD-Rs in order to play them in modded consoles to preserve my collection. I need to know if modded consoles have a shorter life than original ones or if CD-Rs shorten the useful lifes of consoles.

Thanks for any feedback. And sorry, my english is not that good.

K

kahuna

All of the saturns I've ever owed have been very solid. I've had one break on me, but it was my fault, as I was unloading it from a moving truck and dropped it on the pavement from about 8 feet.

Modding your saturn won't shorten it's life if you do it right. The swap trick will shorten the life of your saturn, however.

SegaTecToy

I see. Thanks.

I plan to buy a Japanese Saturn and a Brazilian one. So I guess that I will not have to resort to the swap trick. A modded one would be good to play the back-ups.

My main interest is japanese games after all. The only problem is that I will have to learn some Japanese to play RPGs. :lol:

Shakey Jake33

Originally posted by SegaTecToy@Nov 6, 2003 @ 12:21 AM

I see. Thanks.

I plan to buy a Japanese Saturn and a Brazilian one. So I guess that I will not have to resort to the swap trick. A modded one would be good to play the back-ups.

My main interest is japanese games after all. The only problem is that I will have to learn some Japanese to play RPGs. :lol:
You'll need to patch the image, fit a region switch, or use a converter cart to use 'backups' of those Japanese RPG's on a native console mind =p

Ammut

my saturn has taken a few good beatings, still works great.

And I use the swap trick, I have for over a year now. Donno how well the system was treated before but seeing as its quite old (I've got a model 1) its works just fine. From what I've seen, Saturns hold up much better over time than the original playstations...though I assume ps1's are a bit better.

---Ammut

SegaTecToy

Originally posted by mal@Nov 5, 2003 @ 11:04 PM

I do believe he was planning on buying a Japanese Saturn as well.
Yes. There is a guy selling one cheap. I think that I will make the deal now that I know the hardware is very good.

Sega and Nintendo consoles are great hardware ( the exception is the original NES with that wacky cartridge connector :lol: ). But I still think that sega ones are way better.

Maybe sony's lack of experience can explain the problems with the original playstation. Maybe... :unsure:

Fooziex

Originally posted by SegaTecToy+Nov 6, 2003 @ 07:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaTecToy @ Nov 6, 2003 @ 07:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mal@Nov 5, 2003 @ 11:04 PM

I do believe he was planning on buying a Japanese Saturn as well.
Yes. There is a guy selling one cheap. I think that I will make the deal now that I know the hardware is very good.

Sega and Nintendo consoles are great hardware ( the exception is the original NES with that wacky cartridge connector :lol: ). But I still think that sega ones are way better.

Maybe sony's lack of experience can explain the problems with the original playstation. Maybe... :unsure: [/b][/quote]

Saturn seems like a very reliable console. I accidentally short circuited one of mine, and all I had to do to get it working again was replace the fuse.

On the other hand, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Sony consoles. I have two Playstations and both of them have severe problems to the point where I just don't use them. I had to adjust the laser on my brother's PS2; I think that's a fairly common problem.

bugbeak

I got my Saturn thru ebay, and knowing the kinds of stuff people do in the shipping process, I can vouch for the toughness.

Sony systems are indeed fragile -- many that i know of will stop either playing DVDs or CDs, or even both.

So yeah, a Saturn is well worth your money. Too bad it never took off like it did in Japan.