Saturn devel

I was just wondering whether I was the only one coding some game for the saturn at this time ... Please give me some news about the projects you wrote about some times ago. Slinga ? Rockin'B ? Djidjo ?

Post some pictures, man!

I received my two EMS4in1s yesterday, so phear me for I am the one! The phat one :) (kidding)

I did my first "Hello World" proggy about two weeks ago with US Gameshark 1.9, Tyranid's debugger as a send tool and a flaky Win98 setup.

This weekend I'll install W2K / GiveIO setup (hopefully not as fragile as stupid Win98) and try to push some SGL quads ;)

In a long term, I want to do a perfect translation of the best Konami MSX games(Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Usas, King's Valley 2 etc.) using static recomplilation rather then traditional or dynarec emulation (Saturn isn't your average Pentium 3 system :) )

If successful with Saturn translation, I would like to do the same for PS1, NUON and PalmOS systems :)

well, I'm way too busy with my university studies right now but I intend to do some Saturn dev with the SGL as soon as I get some more time off...

I've been peicing together a little dedicated side computer to try and hammer out some Saturn Dev myself... but like vbt said, it's hard to get anything done when you're always working...

~Krelian

I just want to say that I set up the GNUSH environment (thanks TakaIsSilly for providing links and info) and I'm messing around with some C programming for the first time in my life (besides C#). Right now school is taking up most of my time like usual, but hopefully when this quarter is over (~3-4 weeks) I'll have some time to start some Saturn devel. I've always wanted to do some programming on the Saturn, and now I have the tools I need, minus the PC-COMM link card. :(

I may be switching from Genesis Development to Saturn Dev. soon :D, maybe in time for the next contest... but not sure yet. Genesis has its charm... and lack of higher level programming libraries :p.

Same for me....but I will have to do even more work for the university in the next months. Don't know when I will continue Saturn dev again. Maybe when I succsessfully manage university stuff. Or I'll think about it when the next contest starts.

Can't await your slimevolleyball, vreuzon :) .

Hehe, exuses, excuses!

I guess what we really need is a compo with a really attractive prize that is properly targeted at the horny ubergeek 100%-male population like us (console homebrew developers and wannabes).

No ideas what could it be... May be a date with that weird but cool sega fan girl (Des-ROW)?

Hehe, no offence, just some toughts ;)

I highly doubt that the people here program for the saturn because they want a prize. I think the thrill of the last contest was not the idea of prize, but because there were a number of people entering.

As far as making excuses? I know your fairly new to saturn programming, but as I'm sure you've already found out, it takes FOREVER to program something for the saturn. From setting up the dev environment, to finding the functions you need from the shoddy documentation, to compiling and making an iso, and then testing on a incomplete emulator, it takes a lot of time. But on the plus side, the more people who are actively programming, it'll become easier to dev.

On a side note, has anybody looked in the 210A_US directory? I found a number of functions that I didn't know exisited before.

Another question, SGL = Saturn's 3d Library, so what's it's 2D library, SBL?

Originally posted by Edge-`@Nov 19, 2003 @ 08:37 PM

I may be switching from Genesis Development to Saturn Dev. soon :D, maybe in time for the next contest... but not sure yet. Genesis has its charm... and lack of higher level programming libraries :p.

*voodoo magic* Youuu willl learrrrrn SuperH assemmmmmmblyyyyyyy... */voodoo magic*

Originally posted by slinga+Nov 20, 2003 @ 03:58 PM-->QUOTE(slinga @ Nov 20, 2003 @ 03:58 PM)I highly doubt that the people here program for the saturn because they want a prize. I think the thrill of the last contest was not the idea of prize, but because there were a number of people entering.[/b]

Speak for yourself!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by slinga@Nov 20, 2003 @ 03:58 PM

As far as making excuses? I know your fairly new to saturn programming, but as I'm sure you've already found out, it takes FOREVER to program something for the saturn. From setting up the dev environment, to finding the functions you need from the shoddy documentation, to compiling and making an iso, and then testing on a incomplete emulator, it takes a lot of time.

Speak for yourself again, heh. Setting up the IDE and the whole GNUSH COFF thing was really easy. (I guess I'll just have to wait for the hell to begin once I start compiling and and testing code, gah!
ph34r.gif
)

Originally posted by slinga@Nov 20, 2003 @ 03:58 PM

But on the plus side, the more people who are actively programming, it'll become easier to dev.

Amen to that.

@Nov 20, 2003 @ 03:58 PM

Another question, SGL = Saturn's 3d Library, so what's it's 2D library, SBL?

Sega Basic Library the 2D one?...probably

I hope I'm not breaking some NDA by posting this:

The Sega Basic Library (SBL) is a low-level library which can be

applied to many uses. This library enabled developers the

flexibility they needed to create their own customized

applications. However, past versions of SBL were not helpful for

the development of 3D graphics-based software.

The Sega Game Library (SGL) is a high-level library which can be

used mainly for 3D graphics applications. However, depending on

the application, the developers are forced to deal with many of

its restrictions.

The objective of SBL6.0 is to integrate the positive aspects of

both libraries. SBL6.0 provides developers the flexibility of

customizing their applications as with the old SBL, along with

taking advantage of the benefits provided by the expanded features

ported from SGL.

You're not breaking an NDA because you haven't signed one. Anyway, just thought I'd point out that the version of SGL included in SBL6 is 2.10 while the free-standing SGL package is version 3.02.

Well, I understand that nothing is coming for now...

The slime game (called Floupix PingPong) is playable, not far from beeing finished, up to seven players, up to three teams (two nets). I still have problem with sprites and SGL each time I add some new sprites. I can't understand why it perfectly works on satourne, and displays nothing then freezes on the real saturn (I guess there is something I still don't uderstand...). Some comments in rockin'B source codes shows I'm not the only one to face this kind of problem.

However, I won't be able to finish it and provide screenshots until my pc finds the will to boot again.

And yes, saturn programing takes time. The reason why I did start developing was a challenge with djidjo about some game concept that will probably never be implemented. He gave me a sega saturn with a multitap and some pads (it's much more easy to play multiplayer with that than with a computer without any joystick or pad), the special chip whose name I don't know for playing cdr; he explained me the cdrw trick, and I started reading the docs for some weeks. Because it's hard to have something working, you're even happy to have a polygon displayed on the screen. And It has the advantage of making you think about the code/compile/test cycle: in short, you understand you have to think the further you can before you test.

To the new coders : never hesitate to post even silly questions on this board. It could be useful for everyone here.

Originally posted by vreuzon@Nov 21, 2003 @ 02:23 PM

I still have problem with sprites and SGL each time I add some new sprites. I can't understand why it perfectly works on satourne, and displays nothing then freezes on the real saturn (I guess there is something I still don't uderstand...). Some comments in rockin'B source codes shows I'm not the only one to face this kind of problem.

So then, are you using the new kpit compiler or the old one?

A sidenote: my sprite problems did not cause a freeze, only that the saturn did not display them. The problem needed weird workarounds(inclusion of unused data structures...) with the old compiler, so I switched to the new one, with success.

And good luck with you pc...

So then, are you using the new kpit compiler or the old one?

I use the kpit compiler. It was just an error in the sprite array... Now, it works just fine. Among upcoming difficult todos(for me), I now have to understand how to dispay some background picture.

Somebody interested in some beta testing ?

I'd be interested, I'd always beta the projects my best friend would do for school... Sorting progs, graphing calculators, weird crazy algorithm thingies :huh and the occasional game he'd peice together in those last few hours he really should've been sleeping :sleep: ...

~Krelian

Back