Saturn modifications

ok, im about to undergo the region hack and 50/60hz switch mods to my PAL model 2 saturn.

what i want to know is...

when i switch my saturn to 60hz is it going to make the screen black & white like it does with my megadrive?

will buying an a/v cable fix this? (with the megadrive aswell if you know)

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good saturn mod chip supplier in regards to these requirements:

PAL saturn Model 2

Must accept australian currency

Direct Deposit preferred

Can supply to australia via a registered form of postage

:cheers

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 16, 2003 @ 10:16 AM

Yes you will need an RGB or SCART lead. Who doesn't use those as standard now anyway?

Most of Australia AFAIK. I can't say that I've ever seen a TV that uses SCART.

You'll get black and white if you put an NTSC signal into a PAL only TV. AV leads won't change that.

Wiseman, I may be able to help you out with a mod.

My tv is of course, a PAL tv.

BUT as all new tv's these days are it does NTSC as well.

My DC does NTSC fine through the A/V. so whats the deal?

mal i'll pm you bout the mod.

thanks

The Dreamcast must have some special output mode because I get the same thing. It also manages to output 60Hz on a standard RF lead, a technical impossibility.

technically, but isn't our DC more spiritual than technical?
biggrin.gif

i really think this can be done. have u tried an a/v lead through a saturn running ntsc?

what about US and JAP consoles plugged into PAL tvs that handle 60hz. they work and in colour.

so again. what is the deal here

I've tried both. I' m forced to use my Japanese Saturn and American CDX, both using SCART, in b/w, when my Dreamcat manages to run in 60Hz on the same TV... very annoying.

I did some background research and I found out that RGB and SCART, tho they look the same, have slightly different pin-outs. You have to make sure you have a SCART lead with full RGB compatibility to make it work.

RF won't cut it for RGB, and A/V leads only will on certain TV's. Mine being not one of those.

Time to look for a SCART MegaDrive lead...

I believe you're a bit confused. "Scart" is a type of connector which can carry RGB signals, among others. "RF" is what's used for television transmission, where both the picture and sound are transported on one wire.

I was always under the impression that America uses RGB connectors as opposed to SCART connectors, which are similar but not the same.

Hence a lot of SCART leads do not display an RGB display...

Something that may be of interest...

SCART Connector

The Scart connector, also known as the Euroconnector or Peri-Television connector, is part of a system for connecting television receivers and other home entertainment equipment. A Scart connector has 21 pins which provide stereo audio and composite video in and out, RGB, two data lines and two control lines. A variation allows for seperate chrominance and luminance signals.

Code:
Pin   Use   

1   Audio output [R]

2   Audio input [R]

3   Audio output [L]

4   Audio ground

5   Blue ground

6   Audio input [L]  

7   Blue

8   Status

9   Green ground

10   Data D2B (inverted)

11   Green

12   Data D2B

13   Red ground

14   D2B ground

15   Red

16   RGB Status / fast blinking

17   CVBS Video ground

18   RGB status

19   Composite video output

20   Composite video input

21   Case / shield

There are some notes as well, but I've done enough typing for now.
wink.gif

Cheers for that one... now I know what those cheap SCART leads with only about 8 pins are missing
wink.gif

Most SCART leads are actually home-made... would I be right to presume it's a simple procedure? Good luck finding a MegaDrive 2 SCART lead this side of Mars after all
sleep.gif

I was always under the impression that America uses RGB connectors

We should be so lucky. Aside from the fact that almost no sets in America have RGB inputs, we get to use F-56 connectors for RF and multiple RCA connectors for damn near everything else. Aggregated connectors are virtually unheard of here outside of computers.

Originally posted by mal@Jun 17, 2003 @ 08:30 PM

Something that may be of interest...

SCART Connector

The Scart connector, also known as the Euroconnector or Peri-...

[/CODE]

There are some notes as well, but I've done enough typing for now.
wink.gif

That's straight out of the Disk Smith catalogue, isn't it you thieving Arab!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

this is stupid. there must be a way. my bloody playstation does colour ntsc aswell through the a/v.

what in the hell is the point of even doing the mod if you cant get colour without scart shit.

hmm...

since gamesx.com are the gods of video knowledge i will ask them.

If your display device can handle it, you'll get colours just fine using composite or S-video.

saturn and megadrive output an "illegal" signal when set to 60 hz.. it's not ntsc. the color carrier frequency is off, resulting in a b/w pic. only a RGB cable fixes that.

and if your tv has a scart socket, get RGB cables for every system you can. the quality difference between AV and RGB is HUGE.

better colors and a much sharper picture.

Back