Saturn Music

I've ran into a few topics using Search regarding Saturn music, but just to clarify.

1. There is absolutely no way to make module-based Saturn music without a Macintosh.

(as in sequenced music).

Is that right?

2. SGL says that Sega provides a wave and tone editor. Also that you are free to use third-party sequencing programs. This would seem to be reasonable...

But one of the particular threads I've read says you have to use Sega software to write the actual music.

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=6034&hl=

(if this is true, obviously #1 is true. Else #1 is false).

3. On the other hand, the SGL tutorial for Sound clearly says you only need to create the music in Standard MIDI file (version 1) format.

Out of 1/2 & 3, one of these has to be wrong.

4. And certainly there is no Windows tool to easily create and load DSP plugins. Considering it was a proprietary Mac tool, right? DSP Linker or somesuch? And not that you could get it to work if we have it, since you can't really make an old-style Saturn cart-dev environment.

5. Is there any way to, assuming you could create the samples and sequenced music, actually use them in a Saturn? I have unfortunately only vaguely understood just the part about uploading to the target platform using the Macintosh.

You could do plenty of things with a custom SCSP driver. As far as using the stock SGL code, I really have no idea.

I unfortunately have the faintest clue how to go about this, so for the moment I'll assume the answer is no.

Vreuzon used midi/sequence sound in some of his games.

I tried to convert midi to sequence on MacOS X by myself, but failed... . He somehow got it done and we should ask him to do a little tutorial.

CyberWarriorX made a program to convert sequence to midi, but the inverse tool(midi to sequence) is discontinued.

Such a tool would be needed.

I see.

Well, if CyberWarriorX can convert sequence to MIDI, why not reverse? Certainly his program must understand the format, right?

It's pretty cool he could make that though.

EDIT: Oh, I was not aware that he was working on such a tool. Very neat.

Yeah, I think the 'mechs' example that CWX has on his site actually uses sequences for the music (excellent work btw). But if you're really interested in doing midi on the saturn, oldos.org has a great tutorial that can get you up & running with a mac emu in no time. Heck, I'm running it on an old p166 laptop at pretty good speed.

Mac OS(68k) Emulation on x86

The saturn sound tools work (for the most part) on it. But I couldn't get the files they output to actually play in an SGL program. In fact, I was gonna check that out this afternoon when I got home :lol:

Hey, anyone know if CWX is still around? 'cause it seems like he's pretty much got this format figured out.

Son of a ...

I just came back on this and it turns out using the sound tools to convert midi really works on a mac emu (Basilisk II). The SEQ manuals state that you're supposed to insert midi events #0 and #32 at the start of each track in your song / sfx. No problem ... except that I just noticed that the software I was using to do this (MidiGraphy) numbers it's midi events in hex, so event #32 is actually event #20. Soon as I changed that, it worked just fine.

Awww man!, I can't believe that all this time it was something so simple!! I'm not sure whether to jump for joy or start bawling :bawling:. In any case, at least it's gonna be fun putting one more piece of the hardware to good use.

Back