Saturn Video Output Issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to find a solution to a problem I've been experiencing for a long time now without any resolution.

I have two Japanese Saturns, one gray and one white. With both, I have a problem of lines of visual distortion running horizontally across the screen when the disk is (audibly) being accessed, but for most CD audio, these lines do not appear. In order to troubleshoot, I've tried two different composite A/V cables (both official Sega products) and one third party S-Video cable with the same results. I had such results on two TVs that I've tested (one LCD, one CRT), and to try and figure out if it was a power issue, I have tested both plugged into the wall directly, and through a power bar, with the same issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a second power cable to be able to test if that is the issue, but given that the power supply is internal and it is just a cord, I imagine that would be issue.

In case it matters, I'm in Canada so we're on 120v power lines (just like the USA), and both systems were rated for 100v, as per the back of the machines. I was under the impression that it shouldn't be a problem, and I've had no long-lasting problems with either of these units (I've been playing them for years with this video issue).

I've searched a long time for a solution to this, but have not been able to find anything. If anyone would be able to shed any light on the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

EDIT:

After a long period of disuse, I've tried my (older) gray Saturn and it seems to not have this video output problem - it's only the white unit I'm having this trouble with at this point. If there is any internal work that needs to be done to get this fixed, I'm certainly willing to give that a shot, as I'm fairly confident with soldering electronics. Here's hoping that someone has an answer!

Back